Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Around the CFL - 2022

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Originally posted by Hugoagogo View Post

    I can think of a couple solid bets on that Edmonton offense we fielded last season. The fact that Trevor Harris wasn't committed to getting vaccinated until he got to Montreal says a lot about the discord in our organization.
    Plus a GM that supposedly had a medical exemption. .

    Comment


      #32
      Originally posted by Hugoagogo View Post

      I don't know if they're gonna get anything in trading his rights at this point. Isn't the one-week negotiating window a regular thing now? We may be too close to this for any team to trade any asset of worth, but never say never I guess. Personally, I wouldn't throw a lot of money at Masoli - just me. I think Hamilton has a system similar to Calgary where any pivot looks better in their structure. David Watford looked just as capable as Evans & Masoli in that offense.
      I wasn't nearly as impressed by Watford's play. They certainly didn't win the 2 games he started on the strength of his arm or any want to push the ball downfield. I think they won in spite of Watford, not because of him. The game plan they came up with to protect Watford perhaps from himself made the Ricky Ray dink 'n dunk offense look like Don Matthews' "basketball on grass" offense of the Swervin' Mervyn days. Calgary would have no tape on Watford or know what to expect in terms of scheme. Hamilton followed that up drawing a woeful Ottawa team. In both games the story was the Hamilton defence, Hamilton run game and a passing game that was simply an extension of the run game. Defensively they held Calgary to 279 yards total offense and Ottawa to 197. Offensively they put up only 1 TD and 8 FGs over the 2 games while their defense chalked up 2 pick 6 TDs.

      In both games they ran the ball more than they threw it rushing 59 times for 234 yards while going 34 for 47 for 264. Of the 47 attempts over 2 games Watford only had 8 targets beyond 6 yards downfield completing 2, both vs Calgary. He was 0 for 5 trying to go beyond 6 yards downfield vs Ottawa. Half of his 34 completions were to targets at or behind the line of scrimmage.

      Overall it worked for 2 games and credit to Watford for executing the game plan but certainly it was not a sustainable scheme. I think the warts on Watford's shortcomings would have been exposed the following week vs Montreal.

      Comment


        #33
        Originally posted by Hammer24 View Post

        I wasn't nearly as impressed by Watford's play. They certainly didn't win the 2 games he started on the strength of his arm or any want to push the ball downfield. I think they won in spite of Watford, not because of him. The game plan they came up with to protect Watford perhaps from himself made the Ricky Ray dink 'n dunk offense look like Don Matthews' "basketball on grass" offense of the Swervin' Mervyn days. Calgary would have no tape on Watford or know what to expect in terms of scheme. Hamilton followed that up drawing a woeful Ottawa team. In both games the story was the Hamilton defence, Hamilton run game and a passing game that was simply an extension of the run game. Defensively they held Calgary to 279 yards total offense and Ottawa to 197. Offensively they put up only 1 TD and 8 FGs over the 2 games while their defense chalked up 2 pick 6 TDs.

        In both games they ran the ball more than they threw it rushing 59 times for 234 yards while going 34 for 47 for 264. Of the 47 attempts over 2 games Watford only had 8 targets beyond 6 yards downfield completing 2, both vs Calgary. He was 0 for 5 trying to go beyond 6 yards downfield vs Ottawa. Half of his 34 completions were to targets at or behind the line of scrimmage.

        Overall it worked for 2 games and credit to Watford for executing the game plan but certainly it was not a sustainable scheme. I think the warts on Watford's shortcomings would have been exposed the following week vs Montreal.
        Very thorough analysis. Thanks. Perhaps I shouldn't have said "just as capable"
        Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

        Comment


          #34
          Ottawa signs DB Douglas Coleman II, DL Tre Hornbuckle, WR Terry Williams, OL Clement Lebreux, WR Anthony Mahoungou, DB Tony Anderson, & K Jose Maltos.

          They release QB Dominique Davis, RB Patrick Carr, LB Jerod Fernandez, QB Tom Flacco, DB Brad Muhammad, DL Chigozie Nnoruka, WR Ervin Phillips, OL Na'Ty Rodgers, DL Qaadir Sheppard, WR Kenny Stafford, OL Juwann Bushell-Beatty, & OL Chris Ferguson.

          Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

          Comment


            #35
            Originally posted by Hugoagogo View Post
            Ottawa signs DB Douglas Coleman II, DL Tre Hornbuckle, WR Terry Williams, OL Clement Lebreux, WR Anthony Mahoungou, DB Tony Anderson, & K Jose Maltos.

            They release QB Dominique Davis, RB Patrick Carr, LB Jerod Fernandez, QB Tom Flacco, DB Brad Muhammad, DL Chigozie Nnoruka, WR Ervin Phillips, OL Na'Ty Rodgers, DL Qaadir Sheppard, WR Kenny Stafford, OL Juwann Bushell-Beatty, & OL Chris Ferguson.
            Odds at Stafford coming back for a fourth tour of duty, or is it five now???

            Comment


              #36
              Originally posted by bone View Post

              Odds at Stafford coming back for a fourth tour of duty, or is it five now???
              hope not.

              Comment


                #37
                “Exact numbers on Dane Evans deal with #TiCats: 2022: 417k hard, 435k with playtime. 2023: 442k hard, 460k with playtime. @CFLonTSN https://t.co/XDYZoIUKvQ”
                Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

                Comment


                  #38
                  Originally posted by Hugoagogo View Post

                  I don't know if they're gonna get anything in trading his rights at this point. Isn't the one-week negotiating window a regular thing now? We may be too close to this for any team to trade any asset of worth, but never say never I guess. .
                  I wasn't thinking anything significant in terms of trade value. Hamilton wouldn't get such an offer but might be able to get a 3rd or 4th round pick, perhaps conditional.

                  Comment


                    #39
                    not cheap.

                    Comment


                      #40
                      “Tiger-Cats re-sign ratio-breaking Canadian offensive lineman Chris Van Zeyl https://t.co/FDBVRXivJ0 #HamOnt #Ticats #CFL”
                      Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

                      Comment


                        #41
                        They would have been fools not to
                        In Rod we trust

                        Comment


                          #42
                          Lordy, , if he plays the length of his two year contract he'll be forty years old. Usually only LS's and " kickers" reach that milestone.





                          Comment


                            #43
                            J.C. Sherritt is on the move. Leaving his DC coaching position with Cal Poly and joining Auburn U. as a defensive analyst, according to The Football Scoop. Just never felt right when he retired from the EE and took a coaching spot with the Stamps.

                            Comment


                              #44
                              I would think this would open up some channels with CFL players and agents regarding playing in the USFL.
                              “Congrats to legendary @CFL head coach and GM Jim Popp (@PoppJim) on being named Director of Player Administration for the @USFL! ”
                              Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

                              Comment


                                #45
                                I wonder it the USFL will have any impact on established CFL players. It could be a viable option however for players struggling to land a job on somebody's 46 or those in the twilight. USFL hasn't indicated what their pay structure will be like but they will only be playing a 10 week schedule. Overall I think any established vets will stick with the security of a league they know will be operating over the remaining term of their careers.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X