No announcement yet.

Around the CFL 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those interested here are the up-to-date numbers on pending free agents including the Hollins signing:
    Total FAs 268 NATS 116
    Extended 58 21.6% Extended 28 24.1%
    Terms 1 1.7% Terms 0 0.0%
    Retired 3 1.1% Retired 2 1.7%
    Released 3 1.1% Released 0 0.0%
    65 24.3% 30 25.9%
    ALL Fas Total Signed Terms Retired Released Available % Avail
    DB 49 11 0 0 1 38 77.6%
    DL 44 10 0 0 0 34 77.3%
    K/P 9 4 0 0 0 5 55.6%
    LB 49 10 0 0 1 39 79.6%
    LS 1 0 0 0 0 1 100.0%
    OL 41 12 0 2 0 27 65.9%
    QB 10 1 0 1 0 8 80.0%
    RB 25 2 0 0 0 23 92.0%
    WR 40 8 0 0 1 32 80.0%
    Total 268 58 0 3 3 207 77.2%
    NATS Total Signed Terms Retired Released Available % Avail
    DB 12 4 0 0 0 8 66.7%
    DL 14 4 0 0 0 10 71.4%
    K 4 2 0 0 0 2 50.0%
    LB 25 6 0 0 0 19 76.0%
    LS 1 0 0 0 0 1 100.0%
    OL 29 7 0 2 0 20 69.0%
    QB 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0%
    RB 14 2 0 0 0 12 85.7%
    WR 17 3 0 0 0 14 82.4%
    Total 116 28 0 2 0 86 74.1%
    TEAM Total Extended Lost Added Retired Released Resolved Still Available
    BCL 22 6 0 0 1 0 7 15
    CGY 37 7 0 0 0 0 7 30
    EDM 18 8 0 0 1 1 10 9
    HAM 37 6 0 0 0 0 6 31
    MTL 23 6 0 0 1 0 7 16
    OTT 33 7 1 0 0 1 9 25
    SSK 30 4 0 0 0 1 5 26
    TOR 32 6 0 0 0 0 6 26
    WPG 36 8 0 0 0 0 8 28
    NFL 2 0
    UFL 0 0
    Total 268 58 1 2 3 3 64 206

Comment

thanks for that. Some interesting numbers for sure, looks like continuity is going to be our path for 2024

Comment

Dan Ralph
        @danralphcp
        That was quick. Hearing WR Dominique Rhymes has agreed to terms on 2-yr deal with Ott. Rhymes and BC mutually parted ways yesterday. Ott was apparently 1 of 4 teams interested in Rhymes and is where he began his CFL career in '17. Understand deal is worth about $420k guaranteed.
        Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

Comment

Originally posted by Hugoagogo View Post
          Dan Ralph
          @danralphcp
          That was quick. Hearing WR Dominique Rhymes has agreed to terms on 2-yr deal with Ott. Rhymes and BC mutually parted ways yesterday. Ott was apparently 1 of 4 teams interested in Rhymes and is where he began his CFL career in '17. Understand deal is worth about $420k guaranteed.
          wow!!!!! thats a lot of money

Comment

Originally posted by Looner View Post

wow!!!!! thats a lot of money
            Well over 2 years I think that's reasonable for what he's done recently assuming he stays healthy. He makes his off season home in Ottawa so not surprised he returned to play there.
            ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

Comment

Originally posted by adb View Post

Well over 2 years I think that's reasonable for what he's done recently assuming he stays healthy. He makes his off season home in Ottawa so not surprised he returned to play there.
              More referring to the guaranteed portion but I guess he's a known commodity more then he is a risk

Comment

Red Blacks are stepping up in an attempt to sign Dru Brown...https://www.cfl.ca/2024/01/18/ottawa...-from-bombers/

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer24 View Post
                  One in, one out for BC. They have re-signed WR Alexander Hollins and released WR Dominique Rhymes. That leaves Cottoy as the most important receiver to get under wraps.
                  Cottoy resigned...https://www.cfl.ca/2024/01/18/lions-...-through-2026/

Comment

edit...sorry adb, didn't see you posted this news already.
                    The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have traded quarterback Dru Brown to the Ottawa Redblacks for a fifth-round pick in the 2024 CFL Draft, per sources. Brown is scheduled to become a free agent on February 13. By trading for him general manager Shawn Burke can negotiate a contract with Brown prior to the market opening. That […]

Comment

Originally posted by adb View Post
                      Red Blacks are stepping up in an attempt to sign Dru Brown...https://www.cfl.ca/2024/01/18/ottawa...-from-bombers/
                      Wondering if that means Streveler to Winnipeg is pretty much a sure thing..

Comment

Originally posted by Esks4ever View Post

Wondering if that means Streveler to Winnipeg is pretty much a sure thing..
                        Streveler will be an interesting one. Brown to Ottawa pretty much removed the last place that might offer a chance to compete to start in 2023. I'm not handing the job to Brown but I think Ottawa will proceed to choose their starter out of the guys they have now, assuming they extend Brown.

The question would be is Streveler willing to accept a pure backup role at backup pay? Perhaps there will be a team that will offer something like Dane Evans' contract with BC; low salary but a lot of playtime incentives. In the case of Winnipeg Collaros is still under contract for 2 more years. Does he want to go to a place where he'd have to wait another 2 years before the starting job might come open?
                        Last edited by Hammer24; 01-18-2024, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugoagogo View Post
                          edit...sorry adb, didn't see you posted this news already.
                          Reminds me of Ed trading with the Lions to get Mike Reilly's rights in 2013 before FA. . Gives Ottawa time to work out a deal and not much to lose with a 5th rd choice if they can't work out a contract.

I thought Dustin Crum did a good job with Ottawa last year considering they let their OC go at the end of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by turftoe27 View Post

Reminds me of Ed trading with the Lions to get Mike Reilly's rights in 2013 before FA. . Gives Ottawa time to work out a deal and not much to lose with a 5th rd choice if they can't work out a contract.

I thought Dustin Crum did a good job with Ottawa last year considering they let their OC go at the end of the season.
                            There's been a few of such trades of rights to pending FA QBs over the past decade. Calgary sent Arbuckle to Ottawa on Jan 3, 2020. Hervey acquired Reilly from BC on Jan 31, 2013. Riders sent Drew Willy to Winnipeg on Feb 6, 2014. And of course last year in classic early bird gets the worm Hamilton dealt for Mitchell before the 2022 Grey Cup.

Comment

A dual threat QB, Barriere appeared in 51 games at Eastern Washington, completing 62 percent of his passes for 13,809 yards, 121 touchdowns against 29 interceptions while adding 22 rushing TDs and 1,585 yards along the ground. In 2021 he was the recipient of the Walter Payton Award as the top offensive player in NCAA Division 1 Football Championship Subdivision. He was the runner-up to the same award in 2020.

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has signed American quarterback Eric Barriere. Barriere (6-1, 210; Eastern Washington; born: December 27, 1997, in Inglewood, CA) joins the Blue Bombers after an outstanding collegiate career at Eastern Washington and following stints in the USFL with the Michigan Panthers (2022) and in the New Jersey Generals […]

Comment

Winnipeg has one of the best place kickers in the league, yet they still sign competition for TC.
                                Take note, Chris Jones...
                                The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have signed seven American players, including receivers Peter Afful, Braxton Burmeister, Oliver Martin, and Keric Wheatfall, defensive lineman Ali Fayad, defensive back Marcus Hillman, and kicker Jose Borregales. Afful made 63 catches for 1,220 yards and 16 touchdowns over 23 collegiate games at Washburn University, a Division II program in Topeka, […]

Comment

Working...
                                X