Around the CFL 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Esks4ever View Post
    some Sports Pundits are questioning why Jags... Lawrence will have a lot of slack....
    It's easy. Rourke knows barring unfortunate injury Lawrence will be the Jags starter long after Rourke moves on. What Rourke is signing for in Jacksonville is to leverage how a coaching staff led by the likes of HC Doug Pederson can help him prepare for opportunities after his stay there. He wants a shot at #2 because that gets him lots of reps with 1st and 2nd units versus scout team reps if he winds up as #3 or PR which on many teams are one and the same. Jags only dressed 2 QBs this season. He also knows that at #2 he would get lots of preseason playing time = showcasing his abilities to the other 31 teams.

The last consideration on Rourke's mind when signing with the Jags is that he will replace Lawrence. It's the learning and development environment that they offer that he thinks will serve him well in his bid to compete for a starting job in his next organization. That's what he's after. Staying another year or two in the CFL would only defer his development a year or two.

Comment

Bombers extend 34 yr old Mike Miller. 16 ST tackles in 18 games for Miller although also a full time blocker on O.

Bombers are old and getting older. Laughable that they talk about McManus's recruiting skills. I need to change my username.

Elks will win the cup before the Bombers do imo. Glimmer of hope is I can see a Bomber rebuild starting in about three years.

Comment

Originally posted by bombervu View Post
        Bombers extend 34 yr old Mike Miller. 16 ST tackles in 18 games for Miller although also a full time blocker on O.

Bombers are old and getting older. Laughable that they talk about McManus's recruiting skills. I need to change my username.

Elks will win the cup before the Bombers do imo. Glimmer of hope is I can see a Bomber rebuild starting in about three years.
        Letting Miller go was one of our biggest mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Looner View Post

Letting Miller go was one of our biggest mistakes.
          If you asked 100 people not sure it would top the list.

Can't recall the Elks being bad at special teams coverage but do recall posters mentioning the return game being disappointing at times. Very unfortunate to lose Saulsberry in that regard.

Comment

Can't recall the Elks being bad at special teams coverage but do recall posters mentioning the return game being disappointing at times. Very unfortunate to lose Saulsberry in that regard.
            When you have the best special teams player of all time and let him go, it was a big mistake. A lot of people discount the impact special teams can have, see the 2021 Elks, but the field position impact can be HUGE.

Comment

depends who those 100 are. Joe Six Pack who watches games off and on and may go to the game to socialize - it most certainly wouldnt.

Now if those 100 where fans who follow the league and teams and Nuances of the game - it most certainly would be

Comment

I have no idea what Miller signed for in 2017 when he left for Winnipeg. But his 2021 salary was $ 93,000, prorated to a shorten 14 game CFL schedule. He was the 3rd highest RB on 3DownNations list that year. Sounds like he left here for a better contract and it seems to have worked out well for the Bombers. Maybe we didn't value a ST player and part time RB as high as Winnipeg did.

Comment

Originally posted by turftoe27 View Post
                  I have no idea what Miller signed for in 2017 when he left for Winnipeg. But his 2021 salary was $ 93,000, prorated to a shorten 14 game CFL schedule. He was the 3rd highest RB on 3DownNations list that year. Sounds like he left here for a better contract and it seems to have worked out well for the Bombers. Maybe we didn't value a ST player and part time RB as high as Winnipeg did.
                  And both of those teams are on opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to special teams and overall team success, since then. I'm not saying the Miller loss is the sole reason for that but when you devalue special teams, your'e ignoring 1/3 of the game, meaning you better win both other phases.

Comment

And both of those teams are on opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to special teams and overall team success, since then. I'm not saying the Miller loss is the sole reason for that but when you devalue special teams, your'e ignoring 1/3 of the game, meaning you better win both other phases.
                    I seem to recall something about Maas when the HC here saying something about wanting his returners to just catch the ball and not to fumble trying for a big return.

Comment

So true about ST's. Our best years on ST was when we had Jed doing the tackling and Gizmo doing the returning.

Comment

Maybe they will be in on Janarion Grant or Chandler Worthy.

Comment

Maybe they will be in on Janarion Grant or Chandler Worthy.
                          I could totally see that

Comment

Bo signs in the Hammer

https://3downnation.com/2023/01/24/b...on-tiger-cats/

Comment

Well good luck to Hamilton. It will be interesting to see how this one plays out.
                              Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

Comment

I'll say that playing Calgary just got a bit easier to do.

Comment

Working...
                                X