Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Elkherd 18th Annual (2023) CFL Pool Thread --- With Prizes!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hugoagogo
    replied
    Thanks again for doing this Glen. Congrats to you and bone. It was a fun year for predictions. Hopefully more of the W's I chose for Edmonton work out a little better for me next year

Leave a comment:

• bone
    replied
    Yeah, when Montreal went up 21-17, looking at Hugo's 24-18 prediction for Montreal, I started to get a bit nervous. Made for a fun finish to the game as it made me first cheer for Winnipeg to hit 24, then switch allegiances to Montreal after that to score the upset and ultimately secure the win as who I felt was the more deserving team on that day.

Thanks for doing this Glen. It was fun. Even more fun for once not being 6th place or lower going into playoffs as is usually the case.

Leave a comment:

• glenvb
    replied
    ...and the 18th iteration of the Elksherd CFL pool is finished! The race for first was basically ended by a spoilsport who kept lucking out in his predictions, not to mention stealing the "pizmo" strategy to scarf up bonus points. But the race for second place was entertaining, and kept on going to the very end! And, yet another exciting and unpredictable Grey Cup game, which illustrated once again why this league is just so much fun to watch.

So, first place goes to the spoilsport.... Me!!

In second place, he managed to hang on by a a single point to capture the prize, is bone!

Honourable mentions (but no prizes, sorry) go to Hugoagogo, who fell just one point shy of bone; couchspud; naf; and cmbuk, who kept things close until the end.

Bone, I'll send you a PM in a moment concerning your prize. I won't bother to PM myself.

Thanks everyone! Although our team struggled yet again, it's been a blast, and CFL football is returning to its glorious, chaotic self. Can't wait for next season!

Leave a comment:

• glenvb
    replied
    Ha, that was cool... just Googled "cfl scores" to confirm the final score of the Grey Cup, and little red, blue, and white fireworks danced across the search results!

Leave a comment:

• glenvb
    replied
    I'll post the official results soon... dealing with a health issue. Nothing to be worried about!

Leave a comment:

• Hugoagogo
    replied
    Originally posted by bone View Post
    And with Winnipeg putting 24 up, 2nd is clinched as Hugo can’t get a 3 point game. Was getting a bit nervous when Montreal took the lead 21–17 (Hugo picked Montreal 24-18 vs me picking Winnipeg’s 33-23)
    The math was working for me for a little while
    I'm happy we got a great game.
    Congrats on a great year of picks!

Leave a comment:

• bone
    replied
    And with Winnipeg putting 24 up, 2nd is clinched as Hugo can’t get a 3 point game. Was getting a bit nervous when Montreal took the lead 21–17 (Hugo picked Montreal 24-18 vs me picking Winnipeg’s 33-23)

Leave a comment:

• nafnikufesin
    replied
    Originally posted by glenvb View Post

Hm, that's weird. I haven't had any other reports. Just for the playoffs?
    Yes, just for the playoffs. It did let me pick for the Grey Cup today, maybe there was something with my browser? I should have tried from a different device.

Leave a comment:

• bone
    replied
    Originally posted by Hugoagogo View Post

You do that

Seriously though, I don't think I'll be able to pull off the come from behind, even if you picked Winnipeg and the Alouettes won. I've been terrible this year picking actual scores.
    It would be a pretty awesome way to pull it off picking a perfect score for the underdog (assuming I don't pick that underdog of course).

Leave a comment:

• Hugoagogo
    replied
    Originally posted by bone View Post

Or now that you've told me your pick, maybe I just pick Monteal to clinch. Lol.
    You do that

Seriously though, I don't think I'll be able to pull off the come from behind, even if you picked Winnipeg and the Alouettes won. I've been terrible this year picking actual scores.

Leave a comment:

• bone
    replied
    Originally posted by Hugoagogo View Post

Guess I gotta go with Montreal and do some real number crunching
    Congrats on the pool win as well. As always, thanks for running the show.
    Or now that you've told me your pick, maybe I just pick Monteal to clinch. Lol.

Leave a comment:

• bone
    replied
    Congrats, Glen. It really never was in doubt for first.

Leave a comment:

• eskfan152
    replied
    Congrats Glen! You were in control all year!

Leave a comment:

• Hugoagogo
    replied
    Originally posted by glenvb View Post
    OK, that's it folks... I am now mathematically certain to win the pool! Almost everyone went 1-1 this weekend, with most picking the Argos and Bombers, of course. I'm 9 points clear, and with only one game left (the Grey Cup), the most anyone can get is 5.

For second place, it looks like bone's in a really good position, with a 3 point lead over Hugo and a 4 point lead over couchspud. For someone else to take second, bone would have to pick a loser, and either Hugo or couchspud pick the winner with bonus point(s) thrown in. It's still possible, although I think it's "Hail Mary" time for Hugo and couchspud.

I'll post the GC in a few minutes.
    Guess I gotta go with Montreal and do some real number crunching
    Congrats on the pool win as well. As always, thanks for running the show.

Leave a comment:

• glenvb
    replied
    OK, that's it folks... I am now mathematically certain to win the pool! Almost everyone went 1-1 this weekend, with most picking the Argos and Bombers, of course. I'm 9 points clear, and with only one game left (the Grey Cup), the most anyone can get is 5.

For second place, it looks like bone's in a really good position, with a 3 point lead over Hugo and a 4 point lead over couchspud. For someone else to take second, bone would have to pick a loser, and either Hugo or couchspud pick the winner with bonus point(s) thrown in. It's still possible, although I think it's "Hail Mary" time for Hugo and couchspud.

I'll post the GC in a few minutes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X