Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What new revenue sources could CFL teams tap to save this season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What new revenue sources could CFL teams tap to save this season?

Originally posted by 56Parkies View Post
    To me, you have to do things that are "experiences".
    • Tours of the locker room
    • Be part of the team photo (they've auctioned this off at the Women's dinner every year, for example)
    • Getting to watch the game from the Alumni Suite/President's suite/any suite
    • Maybe get some one-on-one time with players/coaches/alumni showing you some drills they go through/teaching you some plays
    • Partner with some popular clubs in town (post-COVID, of course) and have players/cheerleaders go there. Ticket buys you front-of-line access, drink specials, etc. for after a game. You have to go to the game to get the wristbands and then a bus takes you to the club, etc. Fill those end zones or corners.
    • For us old farts, do something like the alumni luncheon and get to participate in a CFL hot stove with the legends of the past. Include a lunch or whatever.
    BC was doing something like that a few years ago. They'd host a post game "party" at one of the watering holes within a few blocks of BC Place. Jimmy's Pub across the street from the Vancouver Library and Original Joe's in Rosedale on Robson were two places that hosted. Richie Leone was one I recall being at Jimmy's while Ronnie Yell was in the house at OJ's. I think there were usually a couple of cheerleaders with them. They'd make the rounds to all the tables chatting to everybody there and giving away some swag along the way. There was no need to buy tickets. Just walk in. Despite the Lions making an announcement including a display on the big stadium screen regarding the post-game event it didn't really move the needle at those establishments much. They'd normally be close to full pre and post game anyways.

As a footnote Jimmy's which was usually only busy when something was going in BC Place or Rogers Arena closed its doors 2 years ago. I was passing through Vancouver last month and stayed down in that area of town. I noticed that OJ's was also now closed at least it was on a Thursday evening. They had been open when I was there in October. Where Jimmy's closure was permanent and unrelated to Covid I suspect the recent OJ closure is Covid-related.
    Last edited by Hammer24; 03-07-2021, 04:17 PM.

Comment

The best experience I ever had and worth every dollar, was a brief time down on the sidelines, during a game with the team. While limited in available opportunities, what fan would not love to do that and what would they pay? Auction(s) ??

Comment

Originally posted by Beerfish View Post
        We all know this is a gate driven league to a large extent.

I simply don't see how the CFL has full crowd support this year, vaccinations at best for the general public are probably in the fall. Maybe even later.

How can the CFL scrape together enough cash to play this year. Any ideas?

For me, I would be willing to pay an extra fee to watch games on tv. Even though we are already paying for our cable tv costs, paying for sports channels and essentially paying because we have to watch advertising.

If all funds were going to the CFL teams I'd pay for a CFL package of $10 bucks a game or so, may be more.

What say you all?
        Single game betting is being thrown around as an idea to make additional revenue for the CFL:

https://3downnation.com/2021/02/19/s...he-cfl-suitor/

https://3downnation.com/2021/02/18/r...-save-the-cfl/
        “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

Comment

Originally posted by adb View Post
          Single game betting is being thrown around as an idea to make additional revenue for the CFL:

https://3downnation.com/2021/02/19/s...he-cfl-suitor/

https://3downnation.com/2021/02/18/r...-save-the-cfl/
          Looks like some progress has been made on this front...https://3downnation.com/2021/06/22/s...ing-in-canada/
          “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

Comment

“We got signings #BCLions bring back Alex Bazzie (@T_cat53), DeVier Posey (@DPo8) & Mario Villamizar plus add three more American rookies #ThisIsOurPride”
            Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

Comment

Wrong thread
              The official source of CFL news, opinion, video highlights, schedules, scores, stats, game day coverage and more.
              Last edited by Hugoagogo; 10-08-2021, 03:38 PM.
              Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

Comment

Working...
              X