Death of the Eskimos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Death of the Eskimos

We are witnessing the complete dismantling of anything Eskimo related to our beloved franchise. Those in charge have been systematically removing anything Eskimos from our history. Everything the club Eskimos meant to fans are/is being removed.

Eskimos. The once storied franchise that every other team envied is now a massive laughing stock and the "joke" of the league franchise.

Those in charge are slowly changing the Eskimo culture to this new "Elks" culture. I saw on twitter today - though I can't confirm it myself - the big murals of Moon, Fleming etc on the West side wall have been removed and painted over with the Elks logo. To me that is sacrilegious. I wonder whats next - total removal of the wall of honor ?? Our uniform are complete knock offs of Green Bays. What was wrong with keeping the style we had with just a logo change??

It does make sense with what has been said about Brock Sunderland and his napoleon complex. He, for as long as he is here, will dismantle any history of the Eskimos so its all his franchise. Its been happening and will continue to happen as long as he is here. Sunderland isn't alone in this venture as President Presson would have to have some say and its clear he's on board with Sunderland. They have found a great way to alienate your fan base.

What was wrong with just doing the name change? Let people adjust to that - and for some it will take awhile. Keep the history around, hell even embrace the history it would have made the transition much easier. Those two just couldn't leave it at just the name change ( never should have happened, thanks snowflakes but thats another story) they felt they have to remove all existence of the Eskimos. Thats not what the fans want. I could stomach being called the Elks, as long as everything else was the same - honoring the past players.. I wouldn't be shocked to see them rename the Jackie Parker room.

When I go to games and I see all the names/murals of past players all around CW I feel all warm n fuzzy and pulled deeper and deeper as a fan..thinking of all those great players that wore the green and gold. Now, it seems, CW is being turned into a generic stadium with less and less to do with the past. This is happening in every aspect of the franchise. Why couldn't they keep the old EE icon in places? Not saying on the Jersey but why not like some banners etc.

I'm starting to understand why people left. They saw the dismantling of the Eskimos and Eskimos Way. I'm starting suspect those "not a cultural fit" players where probably the ones that still knew and acted like the Eskimo way. Thats just me guessing but it makes sense.

There has been stories out and while they will deny anything, we all know where there's smoke there is fire. I'm not even mentioning the on field performance or roster issues.

My big question is how did the BOD let this happen? I think its pretty easy to answer, not one of those members really give a crap about the Eskimos past or whats happening with the franchise. IMO they need to either ensure there are at least 2 football minded people on the board ( can't tell me it would be hard to find TWO explayers around Edmonton ) Those business people need the input from players to help understand what it meant to be a Eskimo. Totally removing Eskimos from the franchise - which is what Presson and Brock are seeming to do is not the answer. They are trying to turn the thing we love into their idealism and they dont give 2 ****s who they step on to do it.

These two Presson and Brock) need to be fired pronto. I pray the BOD will do the right thing and can them asap. We need someone here that will bring the Eskimo Culture/Way BACK just under a new name and logo. Hey Brock ' just to let you know being the Elks and still having the Eskimo Honor would have really been good. Too bad you had to go and **** over every ounce of Eskimos Honor thousands of us held so dearly in our hearts.

My Solution. ... back the truck up to Flemings house and BEG him to be the president. Get this ship righted. Old honor/culture new name. it isn't hard guys..

Long live the Eskimo Way!

Sorry if this looks like crap or reads odd, I'm typing it on my phone while traveling.

Originally posted by Esks4ever View Post
    Sorry if this looks like crap or reads odd, I'm typing it on my phone while traveling.
    Driving?

One of the problems with the BOD is they have been taken over by politically correct (according to themselves) transients from the Chamber of Commerce crowd. They know nothing about football. Then they make a bunch of rules where they are always right. Last thing they want is someone messing up their gig.

Edmonton at one time had strong direction from the BOD that has waned as the supper club took control. Winnipeg is more corrupt but it is all good when they are winning.

Comment

Peer pressure is the only reason…. they got bullied and couldn’t get out cos the world is SO pc now..
      It’s sad I hate to lose our history…

But the elks rebranding was done very well and I’m really trying not to use the term esks… well it’s quite easy at the minute cos this elks team is bloody ****ting the bed on the field and is entangled in all types of crap off it..

Comment

Originally posted by cmbuk View Post
        Peer pressure is the only reason…. they got bullied and couldn’t get out cos the world is SO pc now..
        It’s sad I hate to lose our history…

But the elks rebranding was done very well and I’m really trying not to use the term esks… well it’s quite easy at the minute cos this elks team is bloody ****ting the bed on the field and is entangled in all types of crap off it..
        peer pressure for the name change not for their dismantling of the history.

Comment

Good Lord, they are actually removing the murals of famous players like Moon?

This reminds me of the calls to remove images of John A. MacDonald. I understand why they wanted to move away from the Eskimo name but to go as far as to remove the images of the franchises best players is very disrespectful IMO. These guys are legends that helped us win 5 Cups in a row and they don't deserve to be erased from the organization's history.

Someone else had mentioned that the demise of the organization began when an infamous team President once said that "Winning was not enough" and I wholeheartedly agree. To me, this is not about the piss poor team performance so far and all about the ever increasing lack of professionalism and respect. The dismissal of Hervey, the sudden termination of Mandrusiak after 49 years, the removal of Eddie Steele from the CHED show, and the rumoured expulsion of Joey Moss from the dressing room are evidence of an organization that simply doesn't give a crap about the people that helped them become the flagship franchise of the CFL.
          Last edited by widowmaker; 10-10-2021, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by widowmaker View Post
            they already did. Moon use to be above Gate 5 nice big window mural. Well now its a elks logo. Confirmed on twitter who had 2 pics to show it. When I have the time I'll try to link the tweet here.

Comment

Originally posted by widowmaker View Post

This reminds me of the calls to remove images of John A. MacDonald. I understand why they wanted to move away from the Eskimo name but to go as far as to remove the images of the franchises best players is very disrespectful IMO. These guys are legends that helped us win 5 Cups in a row and they don't deserve to be erased from the organization's history.

Someone else had mentioned that the demise of the organization began when an infamous team President once said that "Winning was not enough" and I wholeheartedly agree. To me, this is not about the piss poor team performance so far and all about the ever increasing lack of professionalism and respect. The dismissal of Hervey, the sudden termination of Mandrusiak after 49 years, the removal of Eddie Steele from the CHED show, and the rumoured expulsion of Joey Moss from the dressing room the organization are evidence of an organization that simply doesn't give a crap about the people that helped them become the flagship franchise of the CFL.
              Paul Jones shown the door over a pissing match as well.

The team we all knew and loved is dead fellas. It hurts to say it but it’s true.

My father, the man who bled Green and Gold from the day he arrived here from Bristol, England in the early 70’s, the man who started bringing me to Commonwealth when I was in diapers, passed away in February of this year. I think about him every day, and when I watch these away games that I used to watch with him, by myself, I can’t help but feel a little bit thankful that he doesn’t have to suffer through such a pathetic downturn of this once flagship franchise that he loved so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Esks4ever View Post
                We are witnessing the complete dismantling of anything Eskimo related to our beloved franchise. Those in charge have been systematically removing anything Eskimos from our history. Everything the club Eskimos meant to fans are/is being removed.

Eskimos. The once storied franchise that every other team envied is now a massive laughing stock and the "joke" of the league franchise.

Long live the Eskimo Way!

EXCELLENT post Sir

Comment

Sorry to chime in again but it is similar to how people slow down to look as they drive by an accident. I am loving the passion.

Wondering how offensive renaming a road near the stadium "Eskimo Way" would be. Seems okay to me. To turn their back on the entire history is crazy. They are treating that history like the residential school story and making way to big of a deal of it. Again imo. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post

Paul Jones shown the door over a pissing match as well.

The team we all knew and loved is dead fellas. It hurts to say it but it’s true.

My father, the man who bled Green and Gold from the day he arrived here from Bristol, England in the early 70’s, the man who started bringing me to Commonwealth when I was in diapers, passed away in February of this year. I think about him every day, and when I watch these away games that I used to watch with him, by myself, I can’t help but feel a little bit thankful that he doesn’t have to suffer through such a pathetic downturn of this once flagship franchise that he loved so much.
                    Coming to Esks games was really the only father/son thing we did. My father passed in 2012 and it was really somber-some to come to games solo. Even today. My father never ever said one bad thing about anything Eskimos, was always positive that we'll come back and win even if we where down by 14 But as odd as it sounds I am glad he doesnt have to witness this ****storm of a franchise right now.

Comment

The Eskimos (yes I said Eskimos!) were the backbone of the CFL for many, many years. The fact that this franchise has been allowed to wither and unravel to become a laughing stock may be the start of the demise of the CFL. Shame on those at the top that who have allowed this to happen under their watch! This is a community based team and you have let the community down!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bombervu View Post

One of the problems with the BOD is they have been taken over by politically correct (according to themselves) transients from the Chamber of Commerce crowd. They know nothing about football. Then they make a bunch of rules where they are always right. Last thing they want is someone messing up their gig.

Edmonton at one time had strong direction from the BOD that has waned as the supper club took control. Winnipeg is more corrupt but it is all good when they are winning.
                        When I was last working in Edmonton in Community Relations, I got to deal with the Chamber of Commerce. They know about business and they know about maximizing profits for investors. I wouldn't day they know a lot about community building at a grass roots level. I do think this is where the rebuilding needs to start. The current Elks BOD seems to be more about padding their resumes and being seen at the supper circuit.

I agree that we need to get some ex-players on there to remind the others that the purpose of the organization is to win football games and championships. That is how you create fertile ground for the rest. I also think that season ticket holder of over five seasons should be able to place their names forward to serve on the BOD. Of those names, two are chosen. It could be based on what they bring to the table, random draw or one of each. They would have a 2 year term. Then there is a voice of those who are paying to sit in the stands and cheer this team. That might bring balance to organization.

On a last note, I understand that the name was eventually going to change. But did not one from Marketing actually stand in a group of employees and have them try some chants? The tone of the word Elks, is naturally flat sounding. Like a guttural burp. Let's go Elks! it ends low. It drains the energy out of any chant that has the name.

Try this. in a normal voice say:
                        "Let's go D!" Then,
                        "Let's go Eskimos!" , Then,
                        "Let's go Elks!"

Now, pick any other team name and say it out loud.
                        "Argooooos"
                        "Ti-caaats"
                        "Stampederrrrrrs"
                        "Lionnnnnnns"
                        "Red Blaaaaaaacks"

And then "Elks". It just dies in your throat. No wonder the fans are looking at their phones more often than the play on the field. Well, the crappy play affects things too but the name is just flat. Cute logo, likely sells new jerseys to old fans since there are few new fans buying gear but not on the helmet. Put the EE back. The current helmet makes them look like like Max, the Grinch's dog.

There are better things in the world than beer but beer sort of compensates for not getting them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudnyereye View Post
                          On a last note, I understand that the name was eventually going to change. But did not one from Marketing actually stand in a group of employees and have them try some chants? The tone of the word Elks, is naturally flat sounding. Like a guttural burp. Let's go Elks! it ends low. It drains the energy out of any chant that has the name.

Try this. in a normal voice say:
                          "Let's go D!" Then,
                          "Let's go Eskimos!" , Then,
                          "Let's go Elks!"

Now, pick any other team name and say it out loud.
                          "Argooooos"
                          "Ti-caaats"
                          "Stampederrrrrrs"
                          "Lionnnnnnns"
                          "Red Blaaaaaaacks"

And then "Elks". It just dies in your throat. No wonder the fans are looking at their phones more often than the play on the field. Well, the crappy play affects things too but the name is just flat. Cute logo, likely sells new jerseys to old fans since there are few new fans buying gear but not on the helmet. Put the EE back. The current helmet makes them look like like Max, the Grinch's dog.
                          Meh. "Go Elks Go" really doesn't ring any differently that "Go Esks Go". Just win, baby. Win, and no one will give a crap what your name is. But as long as they are a mess on the field, everything else off the field remains magnified.

Comment

Kinda strange how we had both Hervey and CJ, and then had to watch them both move on to run other teams, to now having them both be available to us again.

I’d be pretty disappointed if one of those two guys doesn’t have the keys to the franchise come December 13th.

Comment

Originally posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
                              Kinda strange how we had both Hervey and CJ, and then had to watch them both move on to run other teams, to now having them both be available to us again.

I’d be pretty disappointed if one of those two guys doesn’t have the keys to the franchise come December 13th.
                              If they went with Hervey, no need to wait until December. Would have to wait until then if leaning towards Jones.

Comment

Working...
                              X