Death of the Eskimos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sectionq View Post

The Stamps ownership put good people in place and then let them do their thing. They don't let into ego of the higher ups get in the way. They don't have pressers firing good people who won and tell all of us that "winning isn't enough" when in reality, it was all about a persons ego getting bruised because the former GM knew more about football than the Pres who never worked in football a day in his life until being hired by the Esks. The Stamps just put qualified, good people in place, surround those good people with other good people, they have succession plans. So when one guy is done, they have another guy waiting in the wings. All the Stamps have done is win for well over a decade. They do extremely well, other teams poach their players but no biggie because they have lots more because the people in charge know what the hell they are doing. The Stamps sputtered along this season, first time in a long time but look at them now. Won 3 in a row, climbing the standings. Their slow start cost them first but they will be in second place, just watch.

I used to remember what it was like to have a team like that. To just be good all the time. The organization was stable all the time. There were never stories about strange organization decisions, pissed off players or staff. Teams would poach the Esks players but that's OK, we had lots of other good ones or we could go out and find some more with ease. Sure they didn't win the cup every year but they were usually in the mix. Making the playoffs was automatic and fans took making the playoffs and being a good team for granted because it was just assumed. NOT ANYMORE!!

The organization did it's job. It started with getting rid of the name Eskimos which has been in the works for a few years ago and they finished off the Eskimos legacy by running the franchise and all its history into the ground. I guess whether we like it or not it's bring on the Elks whatever the hell that ends up being because the Eskimos are dead.
    I'm over the name change. It's put to bed.

Everything in else in your post I 100% agree with. Sad state we are in here.

Comment

Originally posted by Jtuck09 View Post

I'm over the name change. It's put to bed.

Everything in else in your post I 100% agree with. Sad state we are in here.
      I am not dwelling too much on the name change anymore. They had their hand forced to a degree. But the point was it was the start of the decline. I am not saying they are linked but I believe the name change stuff really started to heat up not long after Hervey was let go. (I am hoping someone can verify that for me) But it's been a steady decline from there.
      Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

Comment

Death of the CFL, may as well bump this thread to the top.
        Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
        Pizmo Loves Nanookster

Comment

Not much to say, and I'm not sure that it matters much anyways what I do say as although a life long Eskimo fan I haven't lived in Edmonton for over 40 years.

Have Redblack season tickets, but only went to one game (vs the Elks) this season (and of course none last year). Apparently it is ok to take off covid protection mask and wander the stadium, as long you have a beer ($14 a can) in hand to show you are drinking or eating. Do not think I will renew for next year, as it’s all manipulation and money grubbing. Also, despite being a season ticket holder here for five years, I have never had any affinity for the Ottawa teams.

Did not wear any Elks gear to that game as I have only Esks gear, and my signed Moon jersey is certainly no longer appropriate nor relevant.
          Watching the game, seemed not to be able to bond at all with the Elks. Roster changes, name and uniform changes had a lot to do with that. Kept looking at the team wondering “... who are these guys”? They represent new fans, and a new Edmonton. The Esks are gone, and my Edmonton is long gone.

Someone here mentioned the uniform being a copy of Green Bay. Once upon a time the Green and Gold actually wore a distinctive gold and not yellow. That of course is ancient history.

Did the franchise really paint over a mural of Warren Moon? Even the Riders have enough class, and smarts, to still honour Lancaster.

I’m not giving up on Edmonton Football or the Elks, but it has been real hard to get excited about them … and a 3 and 11 season does not help. Those results speak to seemingly endless buffoonery at the top.
          Last edited by Moon1; 11-22-2021, 12:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nanookster View Post
            Death of the CFL, may as well bump this thread to the top.
            Don't know about that but definetly the Elks organization may be dead if they don't see what's happening. If there aren't changes made, you can kiss a lot of people who have season tickets good-bye.

Comment

I agree with what others have alluded to already. Specifically, that the "Death of the Eskimos" has little to do with the name change itself and everything to do with a fundamental change of culture that, in my opinion, began when our dubious former President, Len Rhodes, said that winning was not enough.

By way of further examples, it was the Eskimos who employed the longest serving member of the organization and the Elks who summarily dismissed him.

It was the Eskimos that gave a kid with down syndrome a chance to work with the team and the Elks who despite his decades of service denied him access to the locker room.

It was the Eskimos who created murals dedicated to honouring the franchises finest players and the Elks who painted over them.

The on field product was certainly a disaster which was due to several factors including the pandemic, poor coaching decisions, and the lack of a pre-season. At the end of the day though that does not bother me nearly as much as the change in culture. Every team experiences ups and downs in their level of success - That is just the nature of the game. The negative change in culture however is inexcusable in my opinion.

Comment

Winning may not be the be all / end all but it is a heck of a lot better than losing and being humiliated.

Comment

Originally posted by Jtuck09 View Post

Don't know about that but definetly the Elks organization may be dead if they don't see what's happening. If there aren't changes made, you can kiss a lot of people who have season tickets good-bye.
                  CFL doesn't survive without Edmonton, the flagship of the CFL.
                  Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
                  Pizmo Loves Nanookster

Comment

Originally posted by Moon1 View Post
                    Not much to say, and I'm not sure that it matters much anyways what I do say as although a life long Eskimo fan I haven't lived in Edmonton for over 40 years.

Have Redblack season tickets, but only went to one game (vs the Elks) this season (and of course none last year). Apparently it is ok to take off covid protection mask and wander the stadium, as long you have a beer ($14 a can) in hand to show you are drinking or eating. Do not think I will renew for next year, as it’s all manipulation and money grubbing. Also, despite being a season ticket holder here for five years, I have never had any affinity for the Ottawa teams.

Did not wear any Elks gear to that game as I have only Esks gear, and my signed Moon jersey is certainly no longer appropriate nor relevant.
                    Watching the game, seemed not to be able to bond at all with the Elks. Roster changes, name and uniform changes had a lot to do with that. Kept looking at the team wondering “... who are these guys”? They represent new fans, and a new Edmonton. The Esks are gone, and my Edmonton is long gone.

Someone here mentioned the uniform being a copy of Green Bay. Once upon a time the Green and Gold actually wore a distinctive gold and not yellow. That of course is ancient history.

Did the franchise really paint over a mural of Warren Moon? Even the Riders have enough class, and smarts, to still honour Lancaster.

I’m not giving up on Edmonton Football or the Elks, but it has been real hard to get excited about them … and a 3 and 11 season does not help. Those results speak to seemingly endless buffoonery at the top.
                    I was at that game too. I wore my gear to show my colours. I feel what you said about not being able to connect with the team. A big thing for me is the helmets. I don't care if you have to rename the team. You do not mess with the EE. Not even on the third team helmet.
                    The sense I got, attending the game was that the players were disengaged. They were on the field but they were not present and they certainly were not a team.
                    There are better things in the world than beer but beer sort of compensates for not getting them.

Comment

Working...
                    X