Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Week 16 (part one of two): Edmonton @ Toronto - The Road Trip Continues

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #46
    Originally posted by popo View Post
    Aside from Beard and O'Donnell, I'd replace everyone else.
    I'd keep Tomas Jack-Kurdyla and Kyle Saxelid, as I felt they did decently along that line, especially with all the changes on the line that year. If you can get a stud LT, flip Saxelid to RT, and you have the makings of a very solid line for years to come. Saxelid also took reps at all 5 positions during practices this year, including backing up Beard at C.

    I'm not sure about Chris Gangarossa or Peter Kourtis either, as they didn't get any game time reps on there, but I don't think blowing it all up would be a smart move at all.
    #PizStrong

    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

    Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

    Comment


      #47
      I think Saxelid is the Elks' best lineman now and he's still going to get better. He can play anywhere on the line well and is technically sound. Beard seems to be a good leader at centre and has a few more good years. I've always liked Matt O'Donnell too, but you get concerned when guys get too far past 30. I believe Jack-Kurdyla and Nielsen will continue to improve and compete for spots, however, I agree with Parkies that another high-end tackle is likely the priority here. It seems the team has been trying to highlight Justin Renfrow and he's a good soldier, but I think that is an area where they may be able to get better.

      As far as a team leader is concerned, in the games I've watched, I feel like Aaron Grymes has been that type of presence on the defensive side of the ball. I'm sure guys like Rose, Mincy, Moncrief and a Boateng or Ceresna may be in that mix. On the offence, while I didn't really like his stand on COVID-19, I feel like Wilder has been pretty good otherwise both on the field and in the community. I don't know if I commit to a larger salary and term for him if Fletcher continues to advance though.

      Comment


        #48
        Assuming Wilder's stance on becoming vaccinated doesn't change, he will not be playing in the league in 2022, so I'm glad to see Fletcher stepping up. I liked him from the start in the brief glimpses from training camp, and he hasn't disappointed, IMO. Trumaine Washington has also been a bit of a surprise for me as well; I'd say he was one of the best in the secondary this season, and is tied for the league lead in INTs, which is impressive given how long it took for our team to get its first one.
        #PizStrong

        Twitter: @56Parkies
        @EsksHistory

        Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

        Comment


          #49
          I was really hoping to see Dante Brown off the PR and doing some kicking for us in this final stretch. Our kickers are 36 and 31 years-old, and while both of them appear to have years left, at some point we need to groom the next one.
          I think Saxelid is worth his contract and a keeper considering how versatile he is.
          I'm thinking James Wilder, Derel Walker and Greg Ellingson are all gone next season.
          Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

          Comment


            #50
            Originally posted by Hugoagogo View Post
            I was really hoping to see Dante Brown off the PR and doing some kicking for us in this final stretch. Our kickers are 36 and 31 years-old, and while both of them appear to have years left, at some point we need to groom the next one.
            I think Saxelid is worth his contract and a keeper considering how versatile he is.
            I'm thinking James Wilder, Derel Walker and Greg Ellingson are all gone next season.
            If the report is true that Tevaun Smith is the 7th highest paid receiver in the league, then he's either re-negotiating or he's cut from the team and we'll go with Ross, Jones, Vandervoort and the other NI receivers we have or will draft.
            Last edited by 56Parkies; 11-17-2021, 04:58 PM.
            #PizStrong

            Twitter: @56Parkies
            @EsksHistory

            Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

            Comment


              #51
              Originally posted by Hugoagogo View Post
              I was really hoping to see Dante Brown off the PR and doing some kicking for us in this final stretch. Our kickers are 36 and 31 years-old, and while both of them appear to have years left, at some point we need to groom the next one.
              If ever there was a chance for you, Hugo...
              Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

              Comment


                #52
                Originally posted by Hugoagogo View Post
                I'm thinking James Wilder, Derel Walker and Greg Ellingson are all gone next season.
                I agree with you on this. None of the 3 has really impressed me. Wilder ran well but I can’t think he’s much of a leader in the room.
                There are better things in the world than beer but beer sort of compensates for not getting them.

                Comment


                  #53
                  Originally posted by 56Parkies View Post
                  Assuming Wilder's stance on becoming vaccinated doesn't change, he will not be playing in the league in 2022, so I'm glad to see Fletcher stepping up. I liked him from the start in the brief glimpses from training camp, and he hasn't disappointed, IMO. Trumaine Washington has also been a bit of a surprise for me as well; I'd say he was one of the best in the secondary this season, and is tied for the league lead in INTs, which is impressive given how long it took for our team to get its first one.
                  he's smallish but he has quite the first step and accelerates through the hole quickly
                  In Rod we trust

                  Comment


                    #54
                    After seeing Fletcher play more, Wilder is expendable. Use that money to upgrade the O-line as I'm sure there will be some good FA talent available.

                    Comment


                      #55
                      Originally posted by Mudnyereye View Post
                      I agree with you on this. None of the 3 has really impressed me. Wilder ran well but I can’t think he’s much of a leader in the room.
                      I'd add SirV to that list as well.

                      Time to part ways with the aging, underperforming, high priced players.

                      Comment


                        #56
                        Originally posted by Hugoagogo View Post
                        I was really hoping to see Dante Brown off the PR and doing some kicking for us in this final stretch. Our kickers are 36 and 31 years-old, and while both of them appear to have years left, at some point we need to groom the next one.
                        I think Saxelid is worth his contract and a keeper considering how versatile he is.
                        I'm thinking James Wilder, Derel Walker and Greg Ellingson are all gone next season.
                        Does Dante punt? If so I know I would have tried to get him on the roster these last few games to have a look as HO has had a tough season IMO and might be done. SW can come back for another season if he wants to as he has been solid.

                        ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

                        "Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

                        "When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

                        "...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

                        Comment


                          #57
                          Originally posted by adb View Post

                          Does Dante punt? If so I know I would have tried to get him on the roster these last few games to have a look as HO has had a tough season IMO and might be done. SW can come back for another season if he wants to as he has been solid.
                          He didn't in his senior year, but he averaged 42.5 yards per in the previous two seasons. I would have thought they could have at least had him take Hugh O'Neil's spot for punting/kickoffs. I think if he is going to replace either of our current kickers, he'll probably need to be capable in all three roles anyway.
                          Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

                          Comment


                            #58
                            Originally posted by Hugoagogo View Post

                            He didn't in his senior year, but he averaged 42.5 yards per in the previous two seasons. I would have thought they could have at least had him take Hugh O'Neil's spot for punting/kickoffs. I think if he is going to replace either of our current kickers, he'll probably need to be capable in all three roles anyway.
                            O'Neill is the league worst (12th overall) in Punt Average Yards for guys with more than 10 punts. He's decent on kickoffs top 3, but since punts are typically more crucial in generating good or getting out of bad field position, I'd pick the better punter than kickoff guy 99 times out of 10. We need to find a replacement for O'Neill. Whyte might have a couple more years in him so he's less of a concern despite his age.

                            The only positive about his punting average is that he only has one punt single and those tend to bump up averages, but he hasn't had to punt very often from our 50 yard line or deeper so it isn't artificially low because of coffin corner kicks either. He almost always has enough field to really lay into it but just can't do so. If my memory serves me well, most of his punts when past our 50 still tend to be fielded at the other teams 20 yards line or worse. We only pin teams inside their 20 if they hold on the return or the returner screws up the catch.
                            Last edited by bone; 11-18-2021, 12:18 PM.

                            Comment


                              #59
                              Hugh has (over the years) been one of the best "bad weather" kickers. This is so important for outdoor games in the playoffs. Of course, that is a moot discussion this year
                              Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

                              Comment


                                #60
                                Originally posted by tigerdar View Post

                                he's smallish but he has quite the first step and accelerates through the hole quickly
                                Won't hang it on him but he reminds me of Charles Roberts.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X