Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

!!!!! Everyone's fired !!!!!! Buono to help with the hiring process!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Esks4ever View Post

I'm not 100% sold on Hervey. Yes he did great and set up the Esks for a run of greatness but he also rubbed people the wrong way. This includes Eskimo fans, Now i'm not talking about the likes of us who are deeply involved but those who are not as involved. The Season seat holders who don't incessantly read about the Esks. Do remember he did some "shady" work without approval in BC too.
    That being said he'd be in my top 3 for sure - as long as theres someone above him to keep him reeled in. Like Fleming. Someone who knows what Hervey is and would know how to handle him.

It'll be interesting to see who Buono recommends for us
    A Fleming/Hervey combo would be my ideal setup.

I know I pumped Jones’ tires a lot, and I’d still be happy to go that route, but I think Fleming/Hervey give you more long term stability.

Buono hand picked Hervey to replace him in BC so he’d obviously be familiar with Ed which might bode well.

If we ended up with those two I wouldn’t really care who the HC is because I’d trust those two to pick the right guy.

Comment

I'm not 100% sold on Hervey. Yes he did great and set up the Esks for a run of greatness but he also rubbed people the wrong way. This includes Eskimo fans, Now i'm not talking about the likes of us who are deeply involved but those who are not as involved. The Season seat holders who don't incessantly read about the Esks. Do remember he did some "shady" work without approval in BC too.
      That being said he'd be in my top 3 for sure - as long as theres someone above him to keep him reeled in. Like Fleming. Someone who knows what Hervey is and would know how to handle him.

Yeah, I've also heard a bit about him not being the greatest person around other EE staff as well so there are warts for sure. I like him for his ability to find talent but he'd need to have a President who he respects when he needs to get reigned in a bit for the greater benefit to the league or team. That's where Fleming would be great. I think he'd allow for Hervey to reach his potential, while being trusted enough by Hervey when Fleming advises against some of the more harmful actions. I doubt there are many past Eskimos that Hervey holds in higher regard than Fleming.

https://www.cfl.ca/2007/10/18/flemin...ms_retirement/

“He’s a pro,” said Eskimos scout Ed Hervey, a longtime teammate of Fleming’s. “Now that he has finally made his decision official, I think prople are going to sit back and realize what they had in Sean Fleming.

“Winning kicks, missed kicks — whatever. He has been the one constant we’ve had here in Edmonton and I’m glad to call him my friend.”

In the summer of 2005, it was Fleming who agreed to carve $15,000 off his salary in each of two seasons so the club wouldn’t lose the speedy, sure-handed Hervey to free agency.

Comment

I doubt Hervey comes back here in any fashion. I think that ship has sailed.

Comment

From everything I heard, the majority of the people he rubbed the wrong way was the media and I thought specifically Terry Jones who loved to take shots at him. I could really care less if the GM kisses the ass of the media. Does he have to deal with them professionally, sure he does. But there are a lot of old school guys who IMO want the sports teams in this town to basically do their job for them.

At the end of the day, I want the best guy to be the GM but if you look at his track record, compared to several of the ones before him and of course Brock, he's got a way better track record than them. Plus like I said, this organization has to dig themselves out of a MAJOR hole they put themselves into when it comes to their image and how they are seen in Edmonton. Maybe I am alone in this thinking but I am going to have a hard time buying what a non Eskimo related GM is trying to sell me when he talks in his presser about rebuilding the brand and culture when that person would have no clue what that brand or culture used to be other than what someone tells him it was. I sure as hell don't want the new GM getting his information about the old "Eskimo way" that is clearly been lost and badly needs to come back from a self center guy like Terry Jones OR anyone from the board. Those idiots on the board are the ones that allowed this once great franchise to be in the absolute sh!thole that it is right now. The fairly recent past or present board members are the morons who allowed Tillman, Rhodes, Brock, Presson all to be hired. All those guys helped run this once great franchise into the ground and drag the name through the sh!t like it has been. Those are the same guys who fully endorsed Hervey to be fired and backed that idiot Rhodes who the entire fan base hated and who didn't know anything about running a football team. They fired Hervey not because he wasn't doing his job but because Rhodes didn't like him. Then they allows Rhodes to stand up there and tell the entire fan base "Winning is not enough". I am sorry but it's pro sports, If you don't win, there is nothing. After he told the entire fan base the team doesn't think winning is important, the board should have fired Rhodes the next day but they didn't.

So if you don't hire Hervey, then who is going to come in here and help restore this franchise to glory and the values it used to hold dear when it is pretty clear the current board don't have a bloody clue what they are given their numerous horrendous actions? That's my fear with a different hire. Bring in a guy like Fleming as Pres and a guy like Hervey would go a long, long, long way in restoring some faith in this franchise that maybe better days are truly ahead for a fan like myself who used to be extremely loyal but is extremely close to just closing the door completely on this team and I don't think I am the only fan who feels that way.
          Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Sectionq View Post

From everything I heard, the majority of the people he rubbed the wrong way was the media and I thought specifically Terry Jones who loved to take shots at him. I could really care less if the GM kisses the ass of the media. Does he have to deal with them professionally, sure he does. But there are a lot of old school guys who IMO want the sports teams in this town to basically do their job for them.

At the end of the day, I want the best guy to be the GM but if you look at his track record, compared to several of the ones before him and of course Brock, he's got a way better track record than them. Plus like I said, this organization has to dig themselves out of a MAJOR hole they put themselves into when it comes to their image and how they are seen in Edmonton. Maybe I am alone in this thinking but I am going to have a hard time buying what a non Eskimo related GM is trying to sell me when he talks in his presser about rebuilding the brand and culture when that person would have no clue what that brand or culture used to be other than what someone tells him it was. I sure as hell don't want the new GM getting his information about the old "Eskimo way" that is clearly been lost and badly needs to come back from a self center guy like Terry Jones OR anyone from the board. Those idiots on the board are the ones that allowed this once great franchise to be in the absolute sh!thole that it is right now. The fairly recent past or present board members are the morons who allowed Tillman, Rhodes, Brock, Presson all to be hired. All those guys helped run this once great franchise into the ground and drag the name through the sh!t like it has been. Those are the same guys who fully endorsed Hervey to be fired and backed that idiot Rhodes who the entire fan base hated and who didn't know anything about running a football team. They fired Hervey not because he wasn't doing his job but because Rhodes didn't like him. Then they allows Rhodes to stand up there and tell the entire fan base "Winning is not enough". I am sorry but it's pro sports, If you don't win, there is nothing. After he told the entire fan base the team doesn't think winning is important, the board should have fired Rhodes the next day but they didn't.

So if you don't hire Hervey, then who is going to come in here and help restore this franchise to glory and the values it used to hold dear when it is pretty clear the current board don't have a bloody clue what they are given their numerous horrendous actions? That's my fear with a different hire. Bring in a guy like Fleming as Pres and a guy like Hervey would go a long, long, long way in restoring some faith in this franchise that maybe better days are truly ahead for a fan like myself who used to be extremely loyal but is extremely close to just closing the door completely on this team and I don't think I am the only fan who feels that way.
            The thing about the Board of Directors is that it a rotating chairs, and a short term role. The faces all change every couple years. So you cannot judge the current Board by decisions made years ago.
            The Board that hired Tillman - all LONG gone.
            The Board that fired Hervey - only had one member who was around for Tillman hiring. Everyone else was new.
            Today's Board, that fired Sunderland - only has one (Ian Murray) from the Board that fired Hervey. Everyone else is new.

The good thing about today's board is it has one former Alumni. Which should help. That they made the move this week is an encouraging sign. Seem a bit more up front and pro active then I'd ever seen them- setting up separate committees for 1) President search, 2) GM search, and 3) Fan engagement.

Comment

Meet "Gizmo" Williams & more EE players and alumni!
              Save 25% on Elks merch from November 24-29, plus the Team Store will be open this Saturday!

Elks fans looking to get a jumpstart on updating their Green and Gold apparel can enjoy Black Friday savings this week, with all items 25% off. The sale, which opens on Wednesday, November 24, is available both online and at the Elks Team Store inside the Commonwealth Community Recreation Centre.

In addition to this week's savings, fans can add some player's ink to their favourite piece of gear, with Green and Gold legend Henry "Gizmo" Williams and other select players and alumni available at an autograph signing at the Elks Team Store on Saturday, November 27 from noon to 4:00 p.m. Come in, meet the players, and enjoy some Tim Hortons coffee and donuts on us!

would this even happen if Brock was still here???

Comment

Originally posted by popo View Post

The thing about the Board of Directors is that it a rotating chairs, and a short term role. The faces all change every couple years. So you cannot judge the current Board by decisions made years ago.
                The Board that hired Tillman - all LONG gone.
                The Board that fired Hervey - only had one member who was around for Tillman hiring. Everyone else was new.
                Today's Board, that fired Sunderland - only has one (Ian Murray) from the Board that fired Hervey. Everyone else is new.

The good thing about today's board is it has one former Alumni. Which should help. That they made the move this week is an encouraging sign. Seem a bit more up front and pro active then I'd ever seen them- setting up separate committees for 1) President search, 2) GM search, and 3) Fan engagement.
                You make a fair point but that still doesn't make me feel much better about if you hire a completely non former Eskimo, that the board is capable of being the ones to tell these new guys all about what the Eskimos and Edmonton are all about. The organization thanks to the poor decisions on Pres and GM has extremely alienated the City and fanbase and extremely tarnished the legacy of this organization. They have a TON of repair work to do not just on the field but how the people feel about the team. I am exhibit A. 25 yr season ticket holder. Before we started buying seasons tickets, we used to go to games and just buy them. I am a knothole gang kid back when it was in the endzone. I'd been going to games since the late 80's. We are talking over 30 yrs of being a loyal fan and I am pissed off big time at this team.
                Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

Comment

Well.
                  There were tears of sadness & disbelief at CW when the all the EE staff found out Ed had been fired.
                  There were literal cheers of joy & relief when they found out Brock had been fired.

Believe what you want but Len & others did a good job of selling a narrative to the board & others. Kind of like how the Oilers peeps started staying things about Taylor Hall when they were getting ready to trade him & after he left.

Ed’s not perfect by any means but everyone deserves a second chance - esp when they shouldn’t have been fired in the first place & that was railroaded thru without due process.

Also
                  Many of you talk about legacy & rebuilding ties in the community & all that. That ain’t gonna be the GM Chris Jones my friends.
                  So much I could say - not just hearsay but my own personal interactions with him. Y’all have no clue how he was protected when he coached here.
                  And recall - that was his first HC gig - and that was bc nobody else would give him a chance before that bc everyone knows how he is.

Comment

Tom Richards is set to be the new leader of the Board once Murray's time is done. Usually the Treasurer takes over the head role for two years. So there's some light at the end of the tunnel there. Maybe it was Richards who recommended bringing in Buono to help out with this search, being that he would have a good idea who is worth their weight to be our GM. Wally is class and Mr. CFL so I'm glad he's part of this process.

Also, Danny MacManus and Ted Goveia are two names on the early GM list. Coming from Winnipeg, the best of the best in the CFL, I'm ok with them being considered.

Comment

Originally posted by Smartie123 View Post
                      Well.
                      There were tears of sadness & disbelief at CW when the all the EE staff found out Ed had been fired.
                      There were literal cheers of joy & relief when they found out Brock had been fired.

Believe what you want but Len & others did a good job of selling a narrative to the board & others. Kind of like how the Oilers peeps started staying things about Taylor Hall when they were getting ready to trade him & after he left.

Ed’s not perfect by any means but everyone deserves a second chance - esp when they shouldn’t have been fired in the first place & that was railroaded thru without due process.

Also
                      Many of you talk about legacy & rebuilding ties in the community & all that. That ain’t gonna be the GM Chris Jones my friends.
                      So much I could say - not just hearsay but my own personal interactions with him. Y’all have no clue how he was protected when he coached here.
                      And recall - that was his first HC gig - and that was bc nobody else would give him a chance before that bc everyone knows how he is.
                      So would Hervey as GM and CJ as HC work again or did Jones burn all his bridges with Ed? If Hervey was able to protect Jones the first time around maybe he would be able to do so again? Winning isn't everything but it is a big part of it. If we go win less at home and end up in dead last again I'm not sure the president whoever he is is going to be able to do anything to get people back to CW. You need the in game experience but you need to win as well and say what you will about Jones but players seem willing to go through walls for him and he also seems to be able to find and develop players which would be a bonus. I know he's a mercenary but if we could get two or three seasons from him again Hervey /Jones could setup the team for success in the short term. There are other guys I like such as Kilam and Condell but they would have no HCing experience so we would be rolling the dice with them and I'm not sure the Elks are in a position to take the risk of following up an atrocious season with another crappy one. Jones is the only one available that I can think of with successful HCing experience unless I'm missing someone.
                      Last edited by adb; 11-25-2021, 10:39 AM.
                      ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

Comment

Originally posted by Smartie123 View Post
                        Also
                        CJ ran a coaches clinic for minor and high school football when he was here. Hasn't happened since. That built ties to the exact demographic he the team wants to build ties too. PLUS he was a winner. As a high school coach I saw him numerous times watching games at Clarke on his way home. He was part of the community in my eyes. Our experiences are different in regards to CJ.
                        The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by adb View Post

So would Hervey as GM and CJ as HC work again or did Jones burn all his bridges with Ed? If Hervey was able to protect Jones the first time around maybe he would be able to do so again? Winning isn't everything but it is a big part of it. If we go win less at home and end up in dead last again I'm not sure the president whoever he is is going to be able to do anything to get people back to CW. You need the in game experience but you need to win as well and say what you will about Jones but players seem willing to go through walls for him and he also seems to be able to find and develop players which would be a bonus. I know he's a mercenary but if we could get two or three seasons from him again Hervey /Jones could setup the team for success in the short term. There are other guys I like such as Kilam and Condell but they would have no HCing experience so we would be rolling the dice with them and I'm not sure the Elks are in a position to take the risk of of following up an atrocious season with another crappy one. Jones is the only one available that I can think of with successful HCing experience unless I'm missing someone.
                          I’d love this but I feel like I’m asking a lot already hoping for Hervey to come back, let alone hoping for both of them.

Fleming/Hervey/Jones, while probably unattainable, would be the gold standard as far as I’m concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post

CJ ran a coaches clinic for minor and high school football when he was here. Hasn't happened since. That built ties to the exact demographic he the team wants to build ties too. PLUS he was a winner. As a high school coach I saw him numerous times watching games at Clarke on his way home. He was part of the community in my eyes. Our experiences are different in regards to CJ.
                            As a head coach &/or GM, your behaviour off the field & outside of football-specific settings matters just as much. Equally.

You’re a male that interacted with him in a football setting. I’m not.

Comment

Originally posted by adb View Post

If we go win less at home and end up in dead last again I'm not sure the president whoever he is is going to be able to do anything to get people back to CW.
                              Hopefully there is a season for starters. Given games to play, there is no way an Ed Hervey led team does not win a home game. I would bet the farm on it.

Devone Claybrooks got the same bad rap as Ed and would be good but then you need the right offensive guy. Maas knows the job.

The ship is already sailing in the right direction.

Comment

I agree with many that think Ed Hervey ship has sailed, he may also have anger management issues
                                personally I hire Chris Jones both as GM and HC. Look at Toronto thus year, do you honestly think that they are there because of their amazing rockie headcoach who can't count the time remaining on the clock and almost lost the game against BC or their hot and cold and mostly cold journeyman QB who also known as Mr. Interception.
                                no its all because of their D and Chris Jones.
                                I am telling you everything he touches turns to GOLD. Anyone but Chris Jones once again shows this organization is a total failure.

Comment

Working...
                                X