Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

!!!!! Everyone's fired !!!!!! Buono to help with the hiring process!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also dont want Hervey as GM, he was not friendly to the media and specially to Mr Jones who is an icon in the city like Brian Hall is. Also did some shady deals in BC which causes David Baley to fire him. I am a HUGE fan of Chris Jones, everything he touches turns to GOLD, he should be the next GM and HC of the Elks

Comment

Originally posted by Brock my Rock View Post
      I am disappointed with the firing of Brock, I think he brought the talented group and they under-performed, I was not happy with the whole Elionzo handling of the QB situition and the trade of Trevor Harris.

Walker, Ellingson, Armanti Edwards. if you asked everyone in this board name your top 10 receivers in the league they be in that list. And Brock brought there here, how is that his fault they under-performed or got injured? Travaun Smith is another name, we all thought he will take the next step and become a 1000 yards receiver, instead he regressed.

four 1000 yards receiver and Harris throwing for 5000 yards was the plan... it was Brock's plan, on paper it was a great plan. Sad it did not materlized.
      I tend to agree there was talent here that didn’t produce, so the question is why didn’t they produce and could Sunderland have fixed it? By most accounts he might not have been the strictest on COVID protocols and there seems to be some lingering question about his handling of people in business transactions. I don’t know where I fall on the latter. Some, I think, was overblown as part of the nasty divorce between the previous regime and anything that followed, some was players like Dennis who didn’t seem to have a valid argument but we’re still disgruntled, and some was probably legit.

I almost wonder if part of his downfall was allowing Elizondo too much freedom on the cultural cuts, the QB decisions, and so on. It almost seemed to me that Brock did most of what he needed to do as a player personnel guy, but fell on the part where he needed to manage and hold his first-year coach to account. I still feel like he made the Arbuckle move with his eye on this year, but allowed his coach to make the call he wanted. It doesn’t look good, but maybe he believed he could take the easy route and hide behind the coach when the knives came out.

it will be interesting to see if Sunderland resurfaces as a personnel guy in the CFL elsewhere or if this will dog him in the future.

Evaluating these moves would sure be a lot easier if salaries were public. You could really have an idea if Edmonton overpaid for the talent Brock brought in or if guys really bought into the plan,

Comment

Originally posted by SKIP12 View Post
        In a perfect world I would love to see the following...

President -Sean Fleming
        GM/HC/DC - Chris Jones

Yes I remember how CJ left and took the the EE staff with him. If he can prove that the NFL aspirations are over and wants to focus on the CFL then he needs serious consideration. At the end of the day CJ knows how to win and build championship teams. CJ is a coach who players want to play for and quickly can turn this team around into a contender.

At the end of the day its about winning IMHO and he is the top of the list in that regard...

My 3 cents...
        How would he go about “proving that the NFL aspirations are over”?
        He could say it over & over but it’s hard to take him at his word….

Comment

I am disappointed with the firing of Brock, I think he brought the talented group and they under-performed, I was not happy with the whole Elionzo handling of the QB situition and the trade of Trevor Harris.

Walker, Ellingson, Armanti Edwards. if you asked everyone in this board name your top 10 receivers in the league they be in that list. And Brock brought there here, how is that his fault they under-performed or got injured? Travaun Smith is another name, we all thought he will take the next step and become a 1000 yards receiver, instead he regressed.

four 1000 yards receiver and Harris throwing for 5000 yards was the plan... it was Brock's plan, on paper it was a great plan. Sad it did not materlized.
          But Brock hand picked the HC that couldn’t get the talent to perform, as well as posting a worse record every year since he got here.

And while he was good at throwing money at FAs, he also had a lazy attitude towards scouting.

Plus all the personalities issues that were creating a toxic environment within the football ops side of things.

He had his four years to prove himself and he blew it. Time to move on.

Comment

Originally posted by BeaverSports View Post

Thorpe is an interesting piece here because he does still have a contract and you don't know that the CFL is going to want to give them even more freedom. I don't think he and Jones can work together, nor do I think Thorpe is in a spot to move back to special teams. He'd probably be a candidate for coaching vacancies himself, if not here, then somewhere.
            I guess it’s it depends if STC is seen as a step down from DC, I’m not sure that it is, especially if you sweeten the deal with a few extra titles like AHC.

Comment

Originally posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post

But Brock hand picked the HC that couldn’t get the talent to perform, as well as posting a worse record every year since he got here.

And while he was good at throwing money at FAs, he also had a lazy attitude towards scouting.

Plus all the personalities issues that were creating a toxic environment within the football ops side of things.

He had his four years to prove himself and he blew it. Time to move on.
              Covers my response to him well. Though I wanted to throw some pot shots like "Hello Brock", or "Brock Sunderland fan parody account". Can't believe there is actually any Elks/Eskimo fan left was good with BS.

Comment

Originally posted by bone View Post

Covers my response to him well. Though I wanted to throw some pot shots like "Hello Brock", or "Brock Sunderland fan parody account". Can't believe there is actually any Elks/Eskimo fan left was good with BS.
                I was surprised as well

Comment

One potential candidate for GM could be Kavis Reed?
                  Edmonton connection, and already lives in the community. CFL GM experience.
                  His tenure in Montreal seems awful, where he was viewed as a puppet of ownership. They hadh QB struggles (Cato, Manziel), and coaching struggles: Chapdelaine, Sherman.
                  But Montreal did transform from league doormat into the exciting 2019 club that made the playoffs. That nucleus he collected is still is in place and made the playoffs this year.

I don't think it'd be popular but wonder if they talk to him.

Comment

It has to be Hervey as GM for these reasons.
                    - He's a former player so he knows the history and what it was like to be an Eskimo when they were the class of the league which I am pretty sure means a hell of a lot to the fan base.
                    - He was the last GM to put a successful team on the field so he knows how to find guys who are talented but also who can mesh as a team.
                    - He was the last GM to win a Cup.
                    - Brocks 1 and only winning season was using the team HERVEY put together.
                    - He knows how to find winning coaches. He made Jones a first time head coach and won. When Jones left him hanging, he found Maas who wasn't perfect but was getting better and better and I think would have been fine if Hervey wasn't let go which he was only let go because he and Rhodes didn't get along. I bet Hervey told Rhodes to his face the truth which was he didn't know what he was doing and was an idiot.
                    - He knows the City and the fan base. He knows all the little events that are deemed important by the fan base that an outside wouldn't.
                    - Most importantly. HE'S AN EDMONTONIAN! He's an American, he's got family in the States but he CHOOSE to make Edmonton his home and apparently according to Gregor who's tight with Hervey, he's currently living in Edmonton right now. He's not even employed by the team but he CHOOSES to live in Edmonton. For a community owned team that is MASSIVE IMO.

If the organization wants to rebuild the trust with the fan base, while hiring qualified people is important, hiring people with ties to the City and the organization is huge IMO. They hired Rhodes who was an outsider, who brought in Tillman who was an outsider. Hervey started to fix all the crap Tillman did but the outsider Rhodes showed how stupid he truly was and fired Hervey only to bring in another outside in Brock and the board brought in another outside, worse and American outsider in Presson. Apparently when Rhodes was hired, Fleming was the runner up. There was the first mistake the board made and it's just continued and here we are as a result.
                    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

Comment

Yeaaaah, I can't go along with you on that one. Yes, I managed to sign a lot of players with good records. Most people with a decent amount of cash in the bank can sign vets for good money. The problem with this group was they were a bunch of well paid vets. They had done their jobs well previously. The 2021 Elks were a collection of players, not a team. That falls on the coach and GM. The GM finds players and the coach makes them a team. A good GM will find players that can fit into the puzzle, fill the gaps and support the coach's vision. It did not happen on any level.
                      There are better things in the world than beer but beer sort of compensates for not getting them.

Comment

Originally posted by popo View Post
                        One potential candidate for GM could be Kavis Reed?
                        Edmonton connection, and already lives in the community. CFL GM experience.
                        His tenure in Montreal seems awful, where he was viewed as a puppet of ownership. They hadh QB struggles (Cato, Manziel), and coaching struggles: Chapdelaine, Sherman.
                        But Montreal did transform from league doormat into the exciting 2019 club that made the playoffs. That nucleus he collected is still is in place and made the playoffs this year.

I don't think it'd be popular but wonder if they talk to him.

Comment

Originally posted by bone View Post

I don’t want Kavis anywhere near our franchise

Comment

Just like BS and Elizondo told all the vets he released early in camp sorry Brock and Jamie your not a “cultural fit “ in Edmonton no more , how does it feel

Comment

Originally posted by Sectionq View Post
                              It has to be Hervey as GM for these reasons.
                              - He's a former player so he knows the history and what it was like to be an Eskimo when they were the class of the league which I am pretty sure means a hell of a lot to the fan base.
                              - He was the last GM to put a successful team on the field so he knows how to find guys who are talented but also who can mesh as a team.
                              - He was the last GM to win a Cup.
                              - Brocks 1 and only winning season was using the team HERVEY put together.
                              - He knows how to find winning coaches. He made Jones a first time head coach and won. When Jones left him hanging, he found Maas who wasn't perfect but was getting better and better and I think would have been fine if Hervey wasn't let go which he was only let go because he and Rhodes didn't get along. I bet Hervey told Rhodes to his face the truth which was he didn't know what he was doing and was an idiot.
                              - He knows the City and the fan base. He knows all the little events that are deemed important by the fan base that an outside wouldn't.
                              - Most importantly. HE'S AN EDMONTONIAN! He's an American, he's got family in the States but he CHOOSE to make Edmonton his home and apparently according to Gregor who's tight with Hervey, he's currently living in Edmonton right now. He's not even employed by the team but he CHOOSES to live in Edmonton. For a community owned team that is MASSIVE IMO.

If the organization wants to rebuild the trust with the fan base, while hiring qualified people is important, hiring people with ties to the City and the organization is huge IMO. They hired Rhodes who was an outsider, who brought in Tillman who was an outsider. Hervey started to fix all the crap Tillman did but the outsider Rhodes showed how stupid he truly was and fired Hervey only to bring in another outside in Brock and the board brought in another outside, worse and American outsider in Presson. Apparently when Rhodes was hired, Fleming was the runner up. There was the first mistake the board made and it's just continued and here we are as a result.
                              I'm not 100% sold on Hervey. Yes he did great and set up the Esks for a run of greatness but he also rubbed people the wrong way. This includes Eskimo fans, Now i'm not talking about the likes of us who are deeply involved but those who are not as involved. The Season seat holders who don't incessantly read about the Esks. Do remember he did some "shady" work without approval in BC too.
                              That being said he'd be in my top 3 for sure - as long as theres someone above him to keep him reeled in. Like Fleming. Someone who knows what Hervey is and would know how to handle him.

It'll be interesting to see who Buono recommends for us

Comment

Originally posted by dealerd View Post

I don’t want Kavis anywhere near our franchise
                                ahm5x.gif

Comment

Working...
                                X