Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

!!!!! Everyone's fired !!!!!! Buono to help with the hiring process!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by popo View Post

The thing about the Board of Directors is that it a rotating chairs, and a short term role. The faces all change every couple years. So you cannot judge the current Board by decisions made years ago.
    The Board that hired Tillman - all LONG gone.
    The Board that fired Hervey - only had one member who was around for Tillman hiring. Everyone else was new.
    Today's Board, that fired Sunderland - only has one (Ian Murray) from the Board that fired Hervey. Everyone else is new.

The good thing about today's board is it has one former Alumni. Which should help. That they made the move this week is an encouraging sign. Seem a bit more up front and pro active then I'd ever seen them- setting up separate committees for 1) President search, 2) GM search, and 3) Fan engagement.
    Good Point. The BOD currently should make a point of distilling down WHY Hervey was let go. WHY CJ didn't have his contract renewed when we were the best team heading into playoffs. This may take some phone calls to the old boys club that ran the team then.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by bombervu View Post

Hopefully there is a season for starters. Given games to play, there is no way an Ed Hervey led team does not win a home game. I would bet the farm on it.

Devone Claybrooks got the same bad rap as Ed and would be good but then you need the right offensive guy. Maas knows the job.

The ship is already sailing in the right direction.
      Ed Hervey/Devone Claybrooks went 5 and 13 and finished last in the west and out of the playoffs with an experienced Mike Reilly at the Helm. If we end up with a similar record next season with a first time combination of say a Hervey/Kilam or Hervey/Condell how happy are Elks fans going to be? Will they be packing CW even if Fleming were to provide a great in game experience and successfully reestablish community ties? I suppose Jones could also fail but I think its much less likely. He got parachuted into the middle of the season this year with the Argos and in terms of how that defense is playing is doing a very good job. Wherever he goes he just seems to win and when you have had as crappy a season as we have you really miss winning. I know that the first season of Hervey/Jones also only got us 4 wins so you need to be patient with a first time head coach but at this point I'm not sure that we as a fan base will be willing to do so in back to back seasons. Our last bit of success getting to the 2019 EF feels like forever ago. We are just at such an extreme low morale-wise.
      Last edited by adb; 11-25-2021, 01:29 PM.
      “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

Comment

Originally posted by Brock my Rock View Post
        I agree with many that think Ed Hervey ship has sailed, he may also have anger management issues
        personally I hire Chris Jones both as GM and HC. Look at Toronto thus year, do you honestly think that they are there because of their amazing rockie headcoach who can't count the time remaining on the clock and almost lost the game against BC or their hot and cold and mostly cold journeyman QB who also known as Mr. Interception.
        no its all because of their D and Chris Jones.
        I am telling you everything he touches turns to GOLD. Anyone but Chris Jones once again shows this organization is a total failure.
        There aren't many here who think that. That opinion has been expressed a couple of times that I've seen but it's not 'many' by any means. Majority around here seem to be at least open to having Ed back if that option was on the table. Who knows if it'll happen though.

Originally posted by adb View Post

Ed Hervey/Devone Claybrooks went 5 and 13 and finished last in the west and out of the playoffs with Mike Reilly at the Helm. If we end up with a similar record next season with a first time combination of say a Hervey/Kilam or Hervey/Condell how happy are Elks fans going to be? Will they be packing CW even if Fleming were to provide a great in game experience and successfully reestablish community ties? I suppose Jones could also fail but I think its much less likely. He got parachuted into the middle of the season this year with the Argos and in terms of how that defense is playing is doing a very good job. Wherever he goes he just seems to win and when you have had as crappy a season as we have you really miss winning. I know that the first season of Hervey/Jones also only got us 4 wins so you need to be patient with a first time head coach but I'm not sure that we as a fanbase will be willing to do so in back to back seasons. We are just at such an extreme low morale-wise.
        That season was actually Hervey/Kavis, which bolsters your point that CJ is a flat out winner because we went from bottom of the league to instant contender when he came on board between the 2013 and 2014 seasons.
        Last edited by ben_the_eskimo; 11-25-2021, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post

Irrelevant.

There aren't many here who think that. That opinion has been expressed a couple of times that I've seen but it's not 'many' by any means. Majority around here seem to be at least open to having Ed back if that option was on the table. Who knows if it'll happen though.

That season was actually Hervey/Kavis, which bolsters your point that CJ is a flat out winner because we went from bottom of the league to instant contender when he came on board between the 2013 and 2014 seasons.
          Thanks. How could I forget that...consequences.

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

Comment

Originally posted by Brock my Rock View Post
            I agree with many that think Ed Hervey ship has sailed, he may also have anger management issues
            personally I hire Chris Jones both as GM and HC. Look at Toronto thus year, do you honestly think that they are there because of their amazing rockie headcoach who can't count the time remaining on the clock and almost lost the game against BC or their hot and cold and mostly cold journeyman QB who also known as Mr. Interception.
            no its all because of their D and Chris Jones.
            I am telling you everything he touches turns to GOLD. Anyone but Chris Jones once again shows this organization is a total failure.
            Oh brother.
            Having rules & structure & running a tight ship & calling people out to be accountable when they f up is different than having anger management issues.

Again - wouldn’t there have been more people happy with Ed getting let go in 2017 (other than Len) if they felt he had anger mgmt issues or they were scared of him??

If you’re basing it on the helmet swing - well, lots happens in 18 yrs.

Comment

Well now we can put money on it...https://3downnation.com/2021/11/25/b...edmonton-elks/

Comment

I would take Claybrooks as a DC....Not a HC.

My first option at this point would be Chris Jones as GM/HC/DC... Winning is needed and he WINS.... If you want someone to step in and have an immediate impact on the field and get this organization back to winning...CJ is the number 1 candidate for the job...

We ALL may have some questions regarding his departure and loyalty.....but he is a winner!!!

I could see TOR regardless of how the finish in the playoffs giving CJ the keys to the franchise and Dinwiddie on the outside looking in...

My 3 cents...

Comment

Chris Jones wasn't a community guy, he was a football guy. He lived out of a hotel room, his family rarely visited - did they ever? No. This was strictly a job for Chris Jones. I don't recall him "embracing" the city at all.

I'm not saying Chris Jones might not be a worthy candidate. His players will go to war for him (at least his defensive players). I'm just saying Jones ain't the end all be all. We know what we are getting with Chris Jones - there is good and bad.
                  Last edited by Hugoagogo; 11-25-2021, 04:19 PM.
                  Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

Comment

Originally posted by Sectionq View Post

From everything I heard, the majority of the people he rubbed the wrong way was the media and I thought specifically Terry Jones who loved to take shots at him. I could really care less if the GM kisses the ass of the media. Does he have to deal with them professionally, sure he does. But there are a lot of old school guys who IMO want the sports teams in this town to basically do their job for them.

At the end of the day, I want the best guy to be the GM but if you look at his track record, compared to several of the ones before him and of course Brock, he's got a way better track record than them. Plus like I said, this organization has to dig themselves out of a MAJOR hole they put themselves into when it comes to their image and how they are seen in Edmonton. Maybe I am alone in this thinking but I am going to have a hard time buying what a non Eskimo related GM is trying to sell me when he talks in his presser about rebuilding the brand and culture when that person would have no clue what that brand or culture used to be other than what someone tells him it was. I sure as hell don't want the new GM getting his information about the old "Eskimo way" that is clearly been lost and badly needs to come back from a self center guy like Terry Jones OR anyone from the board. Those idiots on the board are the ones that allowed this once great franchise to be in the absolute sh!thole that it is right now. The fairly recent past or present board members are the morons who allowed Tillman, Rhodes, Brock, Presson all to be hired. All those guys helped run this once great franchise into the ground and drag the name through the sh!t like it has been. Those are the same guys who fully endorsed Hervey to be fired and backed that idiot Rhodes who the entire fan base hated and who didn't know anything about running a football team. They fired Hervey not because he wasn't doing his job but because Rhodes didn't like him. Then they allows Rhodes to stand up there and tell the entire fan base "Winning is not enough". I am sorry but it's pro sports, If you don't win, there is nothing. After he told the entire fan base the team doesn't think winning is important, the board should have fired Rhodes the next day but they didn't.

So if you don't hire Hervey, then who is going to come in here and help restore this franchise to glory and the values it used to hold dear when it is pretty clear the current board don't have a bloody clue what they are given their numerous horrendous actions? That's my fear with a different hire. Bring in a guy like Fleming as Pres and a guy like Hervey would go a long, long, long way in restoring some faith in this franchise that maybe better days are truly ahead for a fan like myself who used to be extremely loyal but is extremely close to just closing the door completely on this team and I don't think I am the only fan who feels that way.
                    I legit have wondered what the franchise trajectory looks like if Ed isin't shown the door and at that time Rhodes was instead. Know at least they wouldn't be coming off a 3-11 season...Never agreed with the move then and I still don't. As much as I'd love to see Hervey back I really don't know if that option is there again. For the record I know others were not a fan of Ed but personally I have nothing but great things to say when it comes to dealing with him on the media side of things. Always respectful and welcoming.
                    Check out my stuff on Avrysports.com

Comment

Another option may be going the Hamilton route. Get Burke as GM and Washington or Cornell as HC, then Evans as QB, that team will be destined to be purged like Brock did to Ottawa. Imagine Ted Laurent and Simoni back here.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugoagogo View Post
                        Chris Jones wasn't a community guy, he was a football guy. He lived out of a hotel room, his family rarely visited - did they ever? No. This was strictly a job for Chris Jones. I don't recall him "embracing" the city at all.

I'm not saying Chris Jones might not be a worthy candidate. His players will go to war for him (at least his defensive players). I'm just saying Jones ain't the end all be all. We know what we are getting with Chris Jones - there is good and bad.
                        Why his players go to war for him? That's the character you want. Not like someone like Elionzo who was a white colour rich lawyer who talked above everyone head. HIRE CHRIS JONES already.

Comment

Originally posted by adb View Post
                          It just makes sense.

Comment

Awesome comments from Ian Murray re alienating the fan base. Sounds like they mean business. Meant as a pun.

Comment

Who would be everybody’s top 1-3 in each category of
                              president
                              GM
                              Head Coach
                              I personally would love Fleming as President
                              Chris Jones as GM/HC/DC in my perfect world but I doubt that happens according to the Oddsmakers
                              I think Hervey would be ok as GM but he did nothing with BC and there was friction when he was in Edmonton

Comment

Originally posted by dealerd View Post
                                Who would be everybody’s top 1-3 in each category of
                                president
                                GM
                                Head Coach
                                I personally would love Fleming as President
                                Chris Jones as GM/HC/DC in my perfect world but I doubt that happens according to the Oddsmakers
                                I think Hervey would be ok as GM but he did nothing with BC and there was friction when he was in Edmonton
                                1) Fleming/Hervey/Jones

2)Fleming/Hervey/Kilam OR Thorpe

3)Fleming/Jones/Jones

Anything else would be a massive disappointment.

Comment

Working...
                                X