Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

!!!!! Everyone's fired !!!!!! Buono to help with the hiring process!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jtuck09 View Post

What if we get Dickenson from Calgary?
    Here is where it gets interesting. I was tempted to say Jones over Dickenson because he’s been a GM, but then, he had O’Day and Murphy and, later, O’Day and Paul Jones there. I don’t know Bobby Merritt from the next guy, but I’d be interested to see who these guys are surrounded by. If Jones brought some good people with him, I’d be less worried about the loyalty too.

Comment

Here's my take on the worry about Jones up and leaving in two years.
      Say you give him the HC/GM role and in two years he leaves, as he would already have the dual role he could not be poached within the league and would be heading south. In that case it's unlikely to bring all of his staff so the damage is not as great. Also in that scenario, he would had to have been successful in his role to have the next opportunity, so that means the program has been rebuilt.

Would you not rather have a program rebuilt in two years and just deal with the consequences then?

Jones leaving did not in itself get us where we are now, this was a series of bad decisions by multiple management teams.
      ​​​​​​
      We still made it to a west final after Jones left. And look at Sask their program was built by Jones and him bolting did not lead to the end of the world.

Just my two cents

Comment

Only this man.
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Brock my Rock View Post
          Only this man.
          Dude, your obsession with Jones reminds me a lot of a guy named Rotor that used to troll this site many years ago gushing over Tillman.
          Last edited by Hugoagogo; 12-08-2021, 03:44 AM.
          Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

Comment

Originally posted by Hugoagogo View Post

Dude, your obsession with Jones reminds me a lot of a guy named Rotor that used to troll this site many years ago gushing over Tillman.
            If it's not Jones, it's his loverboy Brock.

Comment

I’m just anxiously waiting for just some kind of news , any news as it’s been so quiet , maybe the league told them to be hush , hush until after Grey Cup , but you would think they would be announcing interviews at least unless they already have a handshake agreement with someone like Jones

Comment

Originally posted by Hugoagogo View Post

I was thinking this guys posts seemed oddly familiar for some reason… You’re totally bang on, very Rotor-esque.

The arbitrary Hervey hate-on fits that M.O. as well.

Comment

Originally posted by dealerd View Post
                  I’m just anxiously waiting for just some kind of news , any news as it’s been so quiet , maybe the league told them to be hush , hush until after Grey Cup , but you would think they would be announcing interviews at least unless they already have a handshake agreement with someone like Jones
                  I think the league actually has a rule that teams can’t announce anything that’s not directly related to Grey Cup during Grey Cup week.

Comment

Originally posted by icezilla View Post
                    Here's my take on the worry about Jones up and leaving in two years.
                    Say you give him the HC/GM role and in two years he leaves, as he would already have the dual role he could not be poached within the league and would be heading south. In that case it's unlikely to bring all of his staff so the damage is not as great. Also in that scenario, he would had to have been successful in his role to have the next opportunity, so that means the program has been rebuilt.

Would you not rather have a program rebuilt in two years and just deal with the consequences then?

Jones leaving did not in itself get us where we are now, this was a series of bad decisions by multiple management teams.
                    ​​​​​​
                    We still made it to a west final after Jones left. And look at Sask their program was built by Jones and him bolting did not lead to the end of the world.

Just my two cents
                    I agree with your analysis. The other thing to consider is that after Millanovich left he publicly threw his hat in the ring to get the job here after his NFL gig ended and when he didn't get that he took the HCing job at his old high school and I don't believe that was his first call to get back into coaching. I'm of the opinion that he would have taken a CFL coordinating job or higher and likewise taken an NFL/NCAA position post or higher before he would have settled for his old high school's head coaching gig. Heck he might have even taken a CFL position coaching spot before ending up back home. I'm not sure how much you can make as a high school HC in the US but it cant be more than a CFL coordinator and it is definitely not as high profile in terms of the likelihood to lead to a job in the pro ranks or NCAA. I'm of the opinion that CJ had burned all of his bridges and that is why he ended up coaching high school kids and not because he was nostalgic and wanted to go home. The fact that he up and left in the middle of the US high school season to take the Argos job also contributes to my speculation that he had burned all of his bridges and couldn't do better. If that is the case then he will need to rebuild his reputation before he can up and leave for anywhere else and IMO I think that means he's here for a minimum of 3 years before he has the opportunity to walk anywhere for a better gig than a CFL HC although maybe he gets offered a CFL GM spot earlier if he does well here which is why I hope we hire him as GM.

If he were to end up as the GM/HC/DC here then he would have to wait for an NFL position or NCAA coordinator job or higher before leaving (in terms of considering the offer to be an upgrade over the job here) which means he's probably here longer. Either way if he's here for 3 years with other good personnel people around him as you suggest then I think we'll be in very good shape. IMO Chris Jones is the best candidate for the job and I hope he ends up as the GM/HC here or as HC with Hervey as GM. That being said I'd also be ok with Hervey and an up and comer like Kilam or if Khari gets fired Hervey/Khari. Dickenson as GM/HC would also be good but I doubt he leaves Calgary. I know a lot of people are pissed off at CJ feeling that he's a mercenary and that he used us. I guess I'm not as pissed off and that under the current circumstances I'm ok with using him. For me in the GM/HC spot winning is enough and that if we hire Sean as president he can worry about the community ties and between him and Ed work to keep Jones in line when he does something stupid like not wanting to shake the opposing coach's hand at the end of the game or not allowing his players to participate in the annual midway madness. That way Terry Jones can stick to writing about the game result rather than trying to stir up $%!t like he usually does. My two cents.
                    Last edited by adb; 12-08-2021, 10:59 AM.
                    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

Comment

Originally posted by Jtuck09 View Post

What if we get Dickenson from Calgary?
                      As a player, Dickenson turned down an offer from the Eskimos which was $50,000 more than the Stamps were offering to stay in Calgary, where he knew he would have success.

Dickenson is poised to take over for Hufnagel one day, and Hufnagel's doesn't likely have too many days left given that he turned 70 this year. I can't see him going from the stable situation in Calgary to the turbulent one in Edmonton. I suspect Dickenson will be in Calgary for a long time.
                      Stampeder season ticket holder since 1986

Comment

For what it's worth, some real or made-up insider on 3DownNation's latest gossip column is now touting Winnipeg's Goveia, Hamilton's Burke, and Calgary's Mahoney as three potential guys he would target as Edmonton GM.

Comment

Originally posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post

I think the league actually has a rule that teams can’t announce anything that’s not directly related to Grey Cup during Grey Cup week.
                          Unless it Gary Lawless announcing Saskatchewan is poaching one of the coaches that is coaching the game itself on game day. Then it's absolutely fair game.

Comment

Originally posted by Childress View Post

As a player, Dickenson turned down an offer from the Eskimos which was $50,000 more than the Stamps were offering to stay in Calgary, where he knew he would have success.

Dickenson is poised to take over for Hufnagel one day, and Hufnagel's doesn't likely have too many days left given that he turned 70 this year. I can't see him going from the stable situation in Calgary to the turbulent one in Edmonton. I suspect Dickenson will be in Calgary for a long time.
                            We shall see

Comment

Only this man.
                              this shtick is getting old.....

Comment

If we don't hire Chris Jones I won't spend a dime more on this team. Ask Ryan Dinwoodie. We will be dumber than a chimp.
                                whereas I’m just the opposite. If Jones is brought back I’m done with the team. Three really good seats on the aisle, all the food and swag we get every season…gone. Not a big deal to them I know but…
                                Of course Dinwiddie wants Jones out of Toronto. He’s worried CJ gets promoted and he’s out of a job. Plus, why the f*ck are we going to listen to him anyways? Because of all his years of coaching and management experience in the League? Yeah no, shut up Ryan.
                                Once an Eskimo, ALWAYS an Eskimo.

Comment

Working...
                                X