May 27th preseason game vs the bombers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Looner View Post

I don't disagree in the slightest that we need to put a winning team on the field, don't think that I've ever said that but the team is heading in the right direction in both the front office and on the field. I won't be able to convince you right now as the stats don't show it but mark my words, this season will be a significantly different one then the last 2.

As far as dismissing fans concerns, have you seen Victor on social media? He answers most concerns and has made a number of changes.
    I hope you are right and they will be better but actions speak louder than words. I am probably like many fans who want to see the Elks as the saying goes "put their money where they mouth is" and produce winning results on the field. Every year they tell me they will be better. Well let's see it. When they start winning some games, then maybe they will get my attention more. But I am not going to just show up just because.
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

Comment

Originally posted by bone View Post

And despite being .500 in 2018, they missed the playoffs in a Grey Cup hosting season. Since then they are 15-35, including a record of 5-20 at home (1-20 in the last 21). Only one of those 5 victories came against a team that made playoffs in that season and that lone victory was the home opener vs. Montreal who had been 5-13 the year before and was still starting Pipkin, and almost lost that game!

The combined record of teams they beat in those 5 games in the season it happened? 27-63. Really the only game I've gone home confident and excited about this team in the last 5 years was the game they beat the snot out of Mike Reilly with a crazy amount of sacks, and maybe a little bit after the shutout vs. the Argos a few weeks later, but that Argo team was historically bad with Chamblin running the show.
      I know some in here don't like seeing hard stats like that and they expect people to just look past them and come no matter what, but for a less hardcore fan, those are real. Commonwealth for a lot of years hasn't been an overly fun place to go for people atmosphere wise, then you factor in they haven't won a ton in a long time. So there isn't a ton of incentive to go. I know Victor is working hard to improve that so hopefully the atmosphere is getting better. I fully understand that in order for someone to know the atmosphere has improved, they have to go. But the team has to make a person want to go. A winning product will help that in a big way. Then hopefully the improved atmosphere will make them want to come back more frequently. But they have to win first.
      Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Sectionq View Post

I hope you are right and they will be better but actions speak louder than words. I am probably like many fans who want to see the Elks as the saying goes "put their money where they mouth is" and produce winning results on the field. Every year they tell me they will be better. Well let's see it. When they start winning some games, then maybe they will get my attention more. But I am not going to just show up just because.
        I understand that stance and I'm sure there are plenty of people in the same boat but why throw water into a sinking ship when you can help to bail it out or just sit back and wait to see what happens? It's like kicking someone when they are down, its not going to help them get up.

Comment

I understand that stance and I'm sure there are plenty of people in the same boat but why throw water into a sinking ship when you can help to bail it out or just sit back and wait to see what happens? It's like kicking someone when they are down, its not going to help them get up.
          For me, it's also about where I'm talking about it. Amongst hardcore fans, which most that still come to this site would be, I like to occasionally vent the negative. In other areas, I'll usually try to tone it down a bit more than I would here.

Comment

Originally posted by bone View Post

For me, it's also about where I'm talking about it. Amongst hardcore fans, which most that still come to this site would be, I like to occasionally vent the negative. In other areas, I'll usually try to tone it down a bit more than I would here.
            Good attitude and I always say that if there is more good mixed in then bad, the bad doesn't sting nearly as much.

Comment

How does me or others deciding not to watch a losing product be seen as contributing to the losing or kicking them when they are down?

They are losing football games because the board hired crappy presidents. I have more confidence in Victor but when I was a seasons holder and was a rain or shine guy, and the crowds were big that didn't stop them from hiring Rhodes. Rhodes was there for a lot of years when I went to most games. When I went to games all the time, the atmosphere sucked, prices were high and went up every year. So me being in the stands didn't stop that.

Then the board after Rhodes left, doubled down and hired the next crappy president.

Crappy presidents, the guy that was in place when I went fired a good GM, told me winning wasn't enough, then hired a crappy GM in Brock. Brock took over in 2017 when I went regularly went and the crowds were still decent and was in place in 2018 when I went again regularly, 2018 being out last season as ticket holders. So I was in the stands most games when Brock started to dismantle the organization so me being there, didn't do a damn bit of good. It happened with me there.

So like I said, put a product on the field that fans can be proud of and people will come.

Comment

It's like kicking someone when they are down, its not going to help them get up.
                depends on how hard you kick them

Comment

Good attitude and I always say that if there is more good mixed in then bad, the bad doesn't sting nearly as much.
                  I think that is why when old-timers talk about the team in the 60's, most of the discussion remains focused on the almost singular positive that was Long Gone Thomas.
                  Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

Comment

Comment

How does me or others deciding not to watch a losing product be seen as contributing to the losing or kicking them when they are down?

They are losing football games because the board hired crappy presidents. I have more confidence in Victor but when I was a seasons holder and was a rain or shine guy, and the crowds were big that didn't stop them from hiring Rhodes. Rhodes was there for a lot of years when I went to most games. When I went to games all the time, the atmosphere sucked, prices were high and went up every year. So me being in the stands didn't stop that.

Then the board after Rhodes left, doubled down and hired the next crappy president.

Crappy presidents, the guy that was in place when I went fired a good GM, told me winning wasn't enough, then hired a crappy GM in Brock. Brock took over in 2017 when I went regularly went and the crowds were still decent and was in place in 2018 when I went again regularly, 2018 being out last season as ticket holders. So I was in the stands most games when Brock started to dismantle the organization so me being there, didn't do a damn bit of good. It happened with me there.

So like I said, put a product on the field that fans can be proud of and people will come.
                      You are absolutely correct as to what has happened, except for the Hervey thing as he didn't work out in BC and hasn't been given another seat so there has to be something there. That being said, if you are continually looking in the rear view mirror, you are going to crash.

In my opinion we are on the right track, to punish Victor and Jones for mistakes made in the past, is making their jobs harder. I'm not expecting you or any other of the scorned fans to come back just because, I'm just hoping that when the winning starts that people do decide to come back.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugoagogo View Post

I think that is why when old-timers talk about the team in the 60's, most of the discussion remains focused on the almost singular positive that was Long Gone Thomas.
                        Fair enough LOL

Comment

This is a great example of turning a negative into a positive
                          (I should note that we can chuckle about this now largely because Ferri wasn't seriously hurt, but man what a hit)

Last edited by Hugoagogo; 05-29-2023, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugoagogo View Post
                            This is a great example of turning a negative into a positive
                            (I should note that we can chuckle about this now largely because Ferri wasn't seriously hurt, but man what a hit)
                            Ouch, I think he bounced about 5 yards back

Comment

You are absolutely correct as to what has happened, except for the Hervey thing as he didn't work out in BC and hasn't been given another seat so there has to be something there. That being said, if you are continually looking in the rear view mirror, you are going to crash.

In my opinion we are on the right track, to punish Victor and Jones for mistakes made in the past, is making their jobs harder. I'm not expecting you or any other of the scorned fans to come back just because, I'm just hoping that when the winning starts that people do decide to come back.
                              When they start winning games, people will come. But they have to start winning first, doesn't work without that.

Comment

When they start winning games, people will come. But they have to start winning first, doesn't work without that.
                                Oilers in the decade of darkness disagree

And I know the NHL is different then the CFL, just wish people would throw even half the support they have for the Oilers behind the Elks.

Comment

Working...
                                X