2023-2024 off-season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pete View Post
    Might be going National at DT, with Plamondon, Pelley, Nelson, Sam A, etc. Makes sense to get a National difference maker back in trade while reshaping the roster composition.
    Can't judge the trade till we see it on the field.
    Exactly. I'm tentative about our Dline but grabbing an impact national is HUGE

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
      Might be going National at DT, with Plamondon, Pelley, Nelson, Sam A, etc. Makes sense to get a National difference maker back in trade while reshaping the roster composition.
      Can't judge the trade till we see it on the field.
      Looks to me like this deal is all about reshaping the ratio composition. Jones does have a nice stable of young interior NAT DL. It's plausible that he wants to make one and possibly both DT positions NATs. Keep in mind he released Konar who was the starting WIL last year and signing MBT removes the ratio advantage of Ford at QB. That puts EE down 2 NAT starters from what they finished 2023 with.

At receiver Dunbar was waived and they really need to move beyond Arceneaux as game a vet as he is. For a GC contender Manny would be a nice vet depth piece. For a team in rebuild? Gotta find somebody much younger who can be there for the long haul. Gittens helps a ton in filling those holes and doing it with a startimg calibre NAT. He's really killing two birds with one stone.

Comment

Originally posted by Looner View Post

but if it really pissed him off, he could sign elsewhere. In the thread he says he'll be back and that he loves the EE.
        If you're talking Pelley he's under contract for 2024.

Comment

Originally posted by BeaverSports View Post

I'm reading it as a suggestion he's coming back, but it doesn't sound like he's thrilled by this move. Frankly, I wonder how many returnees are pleased with the direction thus far.
          I read it simply as he's disappointed to lose a brother on the line, but looking forward to the upcoming season. Perfectly natural reaction for a player when someone is traded that they worked closely with.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer24 View Post

If you're talking Pelley he's under contract for 2024.
            Forgot about that

Comment

Watching this reel made me feel a bit better: Kurleigh Gittens Jr 2022 CFL Highlights (youtube.com).

I also read over on Saskatchewan's board from Rider Stronson (a poster I believe is an insider as his info is seldom wrong) that Jones asked Ceresna to renegotiate and when it didn't happen, that precipitated the trade. I think Ceresna's salary reflects what he has accomplished, but this is an interesting note.

Comment

Watching this reel made me feel a bit better: Kurleigh Gittens Jr 2022 CFL Highlights (youtube.com).

I also read over on Saskatchewan's board from Rider Stronson (a poster I believe is an insider as his info is seldom wrong) that Jones asked Ceresna to renegotiate and when it didn't happen, that precipitated the trade. I think Ceresna's salary reflects what he has accomplished, but this is an interesting note.
                Plenty of players are renegotiating, grabbing more funds upfront at the sacrifice of the overall salary number.

Comment

It's sad we have to hear that from Rider Fans. Local media not wanting to step on toes ? Noticed Gittens was on the injury list for the Argos last six games with a hip injury.

Nice highlite clip .

Comment

Plenty of players are renegotiating, grabbing more funds upfront at the sacrifice of the overall salary number.
                    Sounds like maybe Jones, likely motivated by the impending roster bonus, presented the opportunity to do just that but Jake declined. Now he's in Hogtown.

I heard from a reliable source that the same thing led to Castillo leaving last year. With camp less than 2 weeks away Jones wanted to redo his contract. Sergio must have told him to take a flying leap off the High Level Bridge.

Maybe Jones thinks things like bonus deadlines or camps opening gives him leverage?

Comment

True. Maybe it was the messaging, or frustration on the player's part about usage. Seems like Ceresna legitimately enjoyed being in town, so I suspect we may never know. Maybe he'll find his way back here at some point.

Comment

Kenny Lawler just restructered with the Bombers. $ 150,000 signing bonus with base salary of $ 115,000 and housing and travel bonus . Was set to receive $ 310,000 before restructuring. From 3DownNation.

Comment

The Edmonton Elks sign American defensive back Donovan Olumba to a one-year contract extension.
                          Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

Comment

Originally posted by turftoe27 View Post
                            Kenny Lawler just restructered with the Bombers. $ 150,000 signing bonus with base salary of $ 115,000 and housing and travel bonus . Was set to receive $ 310,000 before restructuring. From 3DownNation.
                            damn thats a huge cut

Comment

Like Olumba, glad to have him back

Comment

damn thats a huge cut
                                Not that huge. Including the housing and travel allowances he's at $285K hard money so less than 10%. With the way bonuses work for non-resident Americans the Bombers shave $25K off their cap while he earns more after-tax money.

Comment

Working...
                                X