2023-2024 off-season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Looner View Post

I'm just spitballin here but I wonder if Jones has been given the directive to spend money on offence as thats typically what puts bums in the seats
    geroy influence? I think we'll see some D signings.. maybe 1 or 2 larger names but IMO Offense is done.. outside of signing manny
    Last edited by Esks4ever; 02-07-2024, 01:50 PM.

Comment

I'm with you but every team makes decisions on players and takes a risk at certain positions, its the nature of a cap league as you cannot have vets at every position. Especially if you want to spend money on QB and kicker like they have. I'm fairly certain you are going to bring up the Lewis contract and I will pre-emptively agree with you on this one. We could easily grab a cheaper guy and use the remainder of his money else where.

I'm just spitballin here but I wonder if Jones has been given the directive to spend money on offence as thats typically what puts bums in the seats
      i sure hope not. but theres many things in this world that are plausible no matter how crazy.

and Geroy playing a big part?

gotta say....so far Geroy has not made me go : wow look at these dogs hes bringing in roster wide etc etc.... whether minimal or large input he gets to have

He seems to speak boastfully a lot too in some interviews. i dont like that sometimes

Comment

Originally posted by Maas_12 View Post

He seems to speak boastfully a lot too in some interviews. i dont like that sometimes

I'm with you on this statement. I was always told that if you have to tell people how good you are, you're probably not as good as you are saying.

Comment

I'm with you on this statement. I was always told that if you have to tell people how good you are, you're probably not as good as you are saying.
          he's always rubbed me the wrong way.... Milt is up there too.

Comment

Geroy seems to have no shortage of confidence in the decisions they make, but I don't know if he's as eager to be out front sharing the blame. Just a thought there. It is interesting that he seems to be the one quoted in most releases. In this day and age, it should be easy to get an emailed quote approved by Jones, so I wonder if that sends a message about who is doing the lifting. The Elks must deliberately want Geroy quoted at times.

I'm not sure it's an ultimatum on offence. They've aggressively brought in the WR and they tried hard on Masoli in Year 1. I think last year they legitimately believed Cornelius was the answer, and after a promising 2022, I'm not sure I wouldn't have given the opportunity.

On defence, we did get some big guns like Purifoy and Leonard, albeit after releases. Is it more that Jones thinks he can find the next one on D than a concerted effort to spend on offence?

Comment

Stop worrying you henny penny sky is falling types we just signed Kordell Jackson....Kordell Jackson Safety Austin Peay | NFL Draft Profile & Scouting Report (nfldraftbuzz.com)

Now our D problems are solved....

In Rod we trust

Comment

I mean compared to the rest of the league (in terms of whats been reported) I feel like we've signed a lot fewer FAs...unless they're still to come
                ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

Comment

Originally posted by adb View Post
                  I mean compared to the rest of the league (in terms of whats been reported) I feel like we've signed a lot fewer FAs...unless they're still to come
                  For some reason fans equate free agency success with who signs the most and biggest free agent names. That seems to be the only thing that matters to them in declaring a free agency winner. Just as important IMO, if not moreso, is a team's ability to retain its own key pending FAs.

Case in point BC. So far they've lost Rhymes in a cap move and their starting field CB has reportedly agreed to terms in Saskatchewan. They've added only Stanback. In the meantime they've secured Cottoy, Hatcher, Hollins, Hladik, Tuehema, Woods, Williams and Sayles on 2 or more year deals plus Knevel, Debaillie and Flintoft on 1 year deals. The only big one left is Betts. IMO inactivity in keeping your own is worse than inactivity in bringing in new ones.

Comment

[QUOTE=tigerdar;n1279111]Stop worrying you henny penny sky is falling types we just signed Kordell Jackson....Kordell Jackson Safety Austin Peay | NFL Draft Profile & Scouting Report (nfldraftbuzz.com)

Now our D problems are solved....

Last edited by widowmaker; 02-08-2024, 08:19 AM.
                    https://fontmeme.com/permalink/22103...7f700e4989.png

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer24 View Post

For some reason fans equate free agency success with who signs the most and biggest free agent names. That seems to be the only thing that matters to them in declaring a free agency winner. Just as important IMO, if not moreso, is a team's ability to retain its own key pending FAs.

Case in point BC. So far they've lost Rhymes in a cap move and their starting field CB has reportedly agreed to terms in Saskatchewan. They've added only Stanback. In the meantime they've secured Cottoy, Hatcher, Hollins, Hladik, Tuehema, Woods, Williams and Sayles on 2 or more year deals plus Knevel, Debaillie and Flintoft on 1 year deals. The only big one left is Betts. IMO inactivity in keeping your own is worse than inactivity in bringing in new ones.
                      Continuity is huge in sports. I've been a youth sports coach for 20 odd years and I get a new group of kids every year, with the exception of anywhere from 2 to 5 kids from the previous year. Every year I have to start my program at step 1 as most of the kids don't know what is expected of them or the style I like to play. Very early on in my coaching journey I entered our team into a small town tourney and we got absolutely destroyed. The average skill level of the kids on the opposing team wasn't any higher then ours but they had been playing together in all means of sports since they started, their timing and understanding is something that takes almost a whole season to establish and they start from that foundation.

Thats what I'm hoping for the Elks Oline and secondary this year.

Comment

Continuity is huge in sports. I've been a youth sports coach for 20 odd years and I get a new group of kids every year, with the exception of anywhere from 2 to 5 kids from the previous year. Every year I have to start my program at step 1 as most of the kids don't know what is expected of them or the style I like to play. Very early on in my coaching journey I entered our team into a small town tourney and we got absolutely destroyed. The average skill level of the kids on the opposing team wasn't any higher then ours but they had been playing together in all means of sports since they started, their timing and understanding is something that takes almost a whole season to establish and they start from that foundation.

Thats what I'm hoping for the Elks Oline and secondary this year.
                        I agree with that, what worries me is our D line. It was bad last year and arguably the best of that was Ceresna and now he's gone. I'd prefer not to see them being gashed over and over.
                        In Rod we trust

Comment

Originally posted by tigerdar View Post

I agree with that, what worries me is our D line. It was bad last year and arguably the best of that was Ceresna and now he's gone. I'd prefer not to see them being gashed over and over.
                          100% agree, biggest area of concern for me right now without a doubt. I would like to see us grab mondo but I imagine he's not the impact player he used to be.

Comment

100% agree, biggest area of concern for me right now without a doubt. I would like to see us grab mondo but I imagine he's not the impact player he used to be.
                            Mondo is an interesting case. A guy that clearly loved to play in Edmonton, but also one that is 37 years old and made decent coin last year. As you said, Looner, I'm not sure he's the high-impact starter he once was, but could he be a veteran that contributes a bit and provides leadership for these new recruits? To me, it depends on the price tag.

Comment

DE Carney was another player I could see EE interested in… apparently signed with SASK today…

Some CFL DT available though… Wynn, Sewell, Micah Johnson…. All three a handfull but on the downward end of their careers….

Need DE…. Come on CJ…

My 3 Cents…

Comment

Originally posted by BeaverSports View Post

Mondo is an interesting case. A guy that clearly loved to play in Edmonton, but also one that is 37 years old and made decent coin last year. As you said, Looner, I'm not sure he's the high-impact starter he once was, but could he be a veteran that contributes a bit and provides leadership for these new recruits? To me, it depends on the price tag.
                                As long as he is not really expensive I really hope he comes home. I think he can still stuff the run from what I saw last year.
                                ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

Comment

Working...
                                X