No announcement yet.

2024 Edmonton Elks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And this comes as no shock at all. The day they signed MBT was the end of Tre in Edmonton.
    @chadganske

Comment

Tre isn't going anywheres unless Tre asks. MBT will not be our QB next season Tre will. Good on Tre not to be just a gimick player. Hes learning from MBT and will take over next season. New owners will need to "sell " something. to the fans. Trading Ford would have a severe negative impact.

Isn't no way new owners will want to go into the future with MBT and some hacks.

Also people need to realize its not MBT whos losing us games. Lack of running game and a spotty D is.

Comment

I didn't say MBT is losing us games. I think he's been just fine. For the first time in a couple years, the EE actually has a passing game.
        @chadganske

Comment

Originally posted by Sectionq View Post

I think having the 2 QB's on at once, I don't see the value. But you could have him come on for some packages just him where he's the QB. Has some designed run plays. Let him pass some. It makes it so the defense has to spend time in practice prepping for it and maybe you catch them off guard and burn them for something. Regardless, Ford should be chomping at the bit to get any reps and if he's is saying no because he's not the starter, that's a BIG problem.
          I agree, he should have a package of plays, why he doesn't is up for debate but we don't know.

Comment

Call me pessimistic but I don't think Jones miss interpreted the question. What he said is happening makes complete sense to me because otherwise, why in the hell wouldn't you throw Ford in there for packages right away? I get he needs more development which I agree with but he also has tremendous raw ability and shown he can make some plays. He's a weapon. So if the goal is to win football games, which it should be, then a team should be using every weapon they have at their disposal and they aren't. Now we know why.
            Sounded to me like Tre has been throwing some picks in practice as Gregor asked about his development and Jones said he needs to change his TD to INT ratio as its 1 to 1 right now. Its possible they are waiting for him to be more polished in that package. Too be clear, I'm not saying its right, just saying its a possibility

Comment

Originally posted by Looner View Post

Sounded to me like Tre has been throwing some picks in practice as Gregor asked about his development and Jones said he needs to change his TD to INT ratio as its 1 to 1 right now. Its possible they are waiting for him to be more polished in that package. Too be clear, I'm not saying its right, just saying its a possibility
              You could be right. But if you have packages where he's doing scripted runs, some option plays, maybe the odd pass, does his TD to INT ratio in practice matter that much? I personally don't think so. Plus they started camp in what, early May? So if they had him working on some packages and with all of camp plus another over month of practicing and he's not polished enough to play yet, that's a problem IMO.

I am not there so maybe I am wrong but for the coach to come out and say what he said, tells me there is a clear division between coach and player. They want him to do things a certain way, he doesn't want too so he's not playing as a result. Otherwise, it makes zero sense to me why they wouldn't have him come in. This isn't a new thing, other teams have done it or do it all the time. If you are trying to win games, you should be using everything in your arsenal and they aren't for some odd reason. It can't be stubbornness at this point. A new owner is coming in, and even stubborn Jones has to think if he doesn't start winning right now, he won't have a job for sure next season.
              Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

Comment

You could be right. But if you have packages where he's doing scripted runs, some option plays, maybe the odd pass, does his TD to INT ratio in practice matter that much? I personally don't think so. Plus they started camp in what, early May? So if they had him working on some packages and with all of camp plus another over month of practicing and he's not polished enough to play yet, that's a problem IMO.

I am not there so maybe I am wrong but for the coach to come out and say what he said, tells me there is a clear division between coach and player. They want him to do things a certain way, he doesn't want too so he's not playing as a result. Otherwise, it makes zero sense to me why they wouldn't have him come in. This isn't a new thing, other teams have done it or do it all the time. If you are trying to win games, you should be using everything in your arsenal and they aren't for some odd reason. It can't be stubbornness at this point. A new owner is coming in, and even stubborn Jones has to think if he doesn't start winning right now, he won't have a job for sure next season.
                Hard to say what Jones has going on in his head. He hasn't exactly instilled confidence in us the last few years as far as his decision making goes. When he was talking about Tre and how talented he is he mentioned VA and how he's probably the best QB out there...... so why didn't we grab him when he was available?

Just spit ballin here but I wonder if the reason he won't play him is that his contract is up and the more success he sees on the field will drive the dollar value of his contract up.

Comment

Hard to say what Jones has going on in his head. He hasn't exactly instilled confidence in us the last few years as far as his decision making goes. When he was talking about Tre and how talented he is he mentioned VA and how he's probably the best QB out there...... so why didn't we grab him when he was available?

Just spit ballin here but I wonder if the reason he won't play him is that his contract is up and the more success he sees on the field will drive the dollar value of his contract up.
                  I don't see his future contract having anything to do with it. He's barely played. Even if a they got him in for certain packages, he's had very few starts. Taking the Elks out of it, if some team steps up and gives Ford starters money next year, their GM should be fired. If I was any GM, I'd give him a 1 yr deal, then see what happens. If he plays great, awesome, then my you give him starters money.

If Jones is thinking contract for Ford next year and to keep the number down, he's not playing him and potentially hurting his team, then he's a bigger idiot than I think he is now. He has to know, regardless how he does this season, he may not be the new owners guy. But winning games helps his case.
                  Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

Comment

If so, just another major fail by a GM thinking that. By trying to deliberately impact a players value for the next contract, it will result in them having zero interest in sticking around. In a league like the NHL where you keep their rights for a few contracts, a GM may play that game a little and see some success from it, but Ford has the ability to pick his next location. Reducing the value of the contract that it will take to sign him likely just brings in more suitors and Edmonton won't be one of his picks.

Comment

I don't see his future contract having anything to do with it. He's barely played. Even if a they got him in for certain packages, he's had very few starts. Taking the Elks out of it, if some team steps up and gives Ford starters money next year, their GM should be fired. If I was any GM, I'd give him a 1 yr deal, then see what happens. If he plays great, awesome, then my you give him starters money.

If Jones is thinking contract for Ford next year and to keep the number down, he's not playing him and potentially hurting his team, then he's a bigger idiot than I think he is now. He has to know, regardless how he does this season, he may not be the new owners guy. But winning games helps his case.
                      Probably right, just trying to make sense of a senseless situation

Comment

I am not 100% taking what Jones says as completely true but at the same time, I suspect there is truth to it to some degree that Ford doesn't want to go in. If you have a players chomping at the bit to play and he's like "I will do anything coach, just put me in" and Jones is telling him no thanks, then Jones is a complete idiot and everything he says about wanting to win is a lie.

But in saying that, a lot of what Jones has done to date makes zero sense and his record speaks to that. So who knows.

Comment

I know Jones is being protrayed as the villian in this Ford/Jones discussion, however Ford needs to shoulder some blame too. If he has the attitude "i should be starting! look at my success last season" and is being pissy that he's not going to be in for packages - as a gimmick QB

Best thing for Ford is to learn fom MBT and take over next season ( or later this one) he's still a rookie and he needs to learn... he's not perfect or close to. he needs seasoning.

I like ford and I reallty want to see him here.. but if you're going to be a "me" player and not a team player - then gtfo

Comment

Tre Ford is the most overrated player on the esks the last few years. (imo) On top of that despite some talent i have not seen much evidence he really works his ass off to be the guy.

They need to trade him now and get something.

Comment

I agree Ford needs to take some blame here… I hope his attitude is if I’m not the starter don’t design any gadget plays for me….
                              I have always felt that players either LOVE CJ or they don’t… maybe CJ and Ford just don’t mesh….

My 3 Cents

Comment

I don't mean to pile on here. Tre has some natural, unrealized talent. And he could well be a star in this league. However...

1. Last year he was seen chumming around with the opposing team after a loss. Weird.

2. He was seen after a game having dinner on his own rather than with the team. Weird.

3. Despite being a Chris Jones draft pick, he doesn't seem to be a Chris Jones guy. Weird.

4. And now this. He refuses to go in for select plays. Weird.

I mean... this is all very weird.

He won't be on this team next year.
                                @chadganske

Comment

Working...
                                X