Elks New Owner's = New name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elks New Owner's = New name?

My Question is... if they where to change the name do they keep the double E or move on. ? Do you want them to keep the Double E, or is the Eskimos are good as dead, just bring in something new.

( no I'm not adding "Eskimos" to this poll... we all know that would win in a landslide ;p )

maybe they (new #Elks ownership) go back to a different name. I'm lead to believe that's a strong possibility, as well. We'll see what happens there."- @KevinKarius
    of @Sports1440
    #CFL via @RodPedersenShow

Keep The Double E
    88.89%
    Something Fresh is OK
    11.11%

I can't see them choosing a different name. It'll either stay the Elks or go back to the Eskimos.

Comment

Originally posted by Looner View Post
      I can't see them choosing a different name. It'll either stay the Elks or go back to the Eskimos.
      I could... Elks is not well received among any fan hardcore or casual. if it was Eskimos again.. I'd love them long time

Comment

Originally posted by Esks4ever View Post

I could... Elks is not well received among any fan hardcore or casual. if it was Eskimos again.. I'd love them long time
        Oh ya, I would love for them to change it back and bury this part of our existence in some sort of ceremony. I just think its either Elks or Eskimos

Comment

Who ever comes in to own the team, they want to be successful and make money. The Board can say they do but as a community owned team, if you break even, you are good. I say this because I am basing a lot of the decisions on just keeping the team, how things are run and the fans they got happy and status quo. The majority of the decisions made over the years to me seemed out of the box or trying to do new things.

The name change was extremely unpopular and continues to be. Some people have said that was the last straw to them. Not to mention, all the Edmonton has done since the change was lose. So I could see a name change. New owners, fresh start type of thing.
          Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Sectionq View Post

The name change was extremely unpopular and continues to be. Some people have said that was the last straw to them. Not to mention, all the Edmonton has done since the change was lose. So I could see a name change. New owners, fresh start type of thing.
            I go to way less games now than I did before... Elks has a play in that.. but also the losing doesn't help. Also should mention life is slightly different now and sometimes I just cant attend...

Comment

The name is essentially meaningless to me. They could be called the Edmonton McEdmontonfaces and I wouldn't care. But years of horrible management and losing has been hard to stomach after growing up with a steady diet of the longest playoff streak in pro sports. *THAT* was the tradition that made me a fan, not the name.

Comment

Originally posted by nafnikufesin View Post
                The name is essentially meaningless to me. They could be called the Edmonton McEdmontonfaces and I wouldn't care. But years of horrible management and losing has been hard to stomach after growing up with a steady diet of the longest playoff streak in pro sports. *THAT* was the tradition that made me a fan, not the name.
                I'm with you on this but I still struggle with calling them the Elks, it just doesn't feel right to say the Elks have won 14 Grey cups when we haven't even won 14 games since the name change

Comment

I'm with you on this but I still struggle with calling them the Elks, it just doesn't feel right to say the Elks have won 14 Grey cups when we haven't even won 14 games since the name change
                  or calling an Eskimos' great an Elks great.....

Comment

More times than not, I refer to them as Edmonton. I haven't embraced Elks. The Elks didn't have all those hall of famers or cups, the Eskimos did. While I agree that for some, the name doesn't mean anything, I do think it means a lot to way more fans than the team probably anticipated.
                    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

Comment

Assuming that teh team is sold the first thing that I would do is change the name because Elks is simply awful.

Personally I'd love it if they went back to the Eskimos. That said, like it or not (and I don't) in today's political climate, there's no chance in hell that they revert back to the Eskimos. The new ownership will still need sponsorship dollars and I concerned that those dollars could be hard to come by if they did that.

https://fontmeme.com/permalink/22103...7f700e4989.png

Comment

I get that, and it depends on how I'm referring to them. "Did you catch the Elks game this weekend?" vs "I remember watching Warren Moon play for the Eskimos."

In terms of your point, simply saying "Edmonton has won the Grey Cup 14 times" is probably how I'd say it. (Technically, that would be the best way to phrase their appearances, because it would be incorrect to say "The Eskimos have appeared in the Grey Cup 25 times", because in 1922, it was the Edmonton Elks that played).

But in terms of cheering for a team based on the name, I never cheered for them *because* they were called the Eskimos, so why would I change allegiance because they aren't called that any more? Do you cheer for the team, or do you cheer for the team name? I cheered for them because they play in Edmonton. I would have cheered for them no matter what they were called 20 years ago. And I'll cheer for them no matter what they are called 20 years from now. And tradition has nothing to do with it, the team changes how their jersey looks every single year, it doesn't mean I'm going to throw out last year's jersey.

Comment

I'm fine with the name, personally. They're my football team, Esks, Elks, or whatever.
                          Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

Comment

I don't mind them taking a name that starts with an E but Elks is blech.

Course they could call them double trouble **** on a stick at this point and it wouldn't affect attendance much.
                            In Rod we trust

Comment

Originally posted by widowmaker View Post
                              Assuming that teh team is sold the first thing that I would do is change the name because Elks is simply awful.

Personally I'd love it if they went back to the Eskimos. That said, like it or not (and I don't) in today's political climate, there's no chance in hell that they revert back to the Eskimos. The new ownership will still need sponsorship dollars and I concerned that those dollars could be hard to come by if they did that.

From what I read before they changed the name, they polled all the Northern Indigenous. Any of the ones that were closer to Edmonton who the team did things with and visited, didn't have a problem with the name, they actually liked it. It was people's farther east who had zero interaction with the team who felt offended for whatever reason. So what if they engaged these people, found out what the problem was then involve them?

Here in RD, our minor hockey team is called the Chiefs. It's been that for many decades. Our logo is a chiefs head. An Indigenous man wearing a headdress. When all these teams were changing their names, our hockey association went to all the tribal leaders that surround Red Deer. They told them why they were called the chiefs, it wasn't to mock them it was to honor them. They had many meetings over several years. They consulted a bunch of other main indigenous leaders including Chief Little Child. They worked with all the tribes to change the logo.

With the help of the tribes, they changed the look of the logo. The colors in the head dress changed. Added some details to what he is wearing and a few more subtle tweaks to make it correct. They then had a big ceremony before the start of the season this past one. Had all the tribal chiefs and elders there. Blessed everything. So Red Deer Minor Hockey is still the Chiefs and our logo is still basically the same but they engaged the tribes, got them involved. Made whatever changes they wanted and all is good.

It's going to take a few years to swap out all the jerseys from U18 down to 4 yr old. They started this past season and it will continue over the next few seasons. So it can be done if you involve the people.
                              Last edited by Sectionq; 07-03-2024, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X