Friday Night vs. the Riders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Night vs. the Riders

I think this game will really come down to the outcome of the previous game between BC and Hamilton. I would imagine that Kent Austin will have a contingency plan should BC lock up first place against Hamilton, such that Kerry Joseph and some other starters would only play half of the game...maybe a little more, and let Crandell and other backups play the rest of the game.

This could be huge for the Esks who will be desperate to keep their playoff hopes alive. I cant see Montreal winning another game in Calgary or Winnipeg, so lets see what happens. If the Tabbies can pull the upset, that will make for a really good game in Edmonton, since the Riders will be just as desperate to win the game so at least have a chance to get 1st place.....of course this wont happen cause the Tabbies really blow....so probably good news for the Esks and their fans.
    Last edited by chub; 10-22-2007, 01:24 PM.
    RIDER PRIDE is where its at!

Re: Friday Night vs. the Riders

Its unlikely that Joseph will play more tha a half, no matter what.

Comment

There are 2 things I don't like about this situation and our playoff chances.....

1) First off, our playoff hopes rest in the demise of another team - Montreal. And even though they play 2 opponents they should lose to (Calgary and Winnipeg), to Calgary it's a nothing game, so they may play all their 4th stringers.......In the world of sports you wanna be in control of your own destiny and not leave it in the hands of others. Yes we need to win the last 2, but above all else, Montreal needs to lose.

2)One of our final 2 games is against the Riders. And let's face it, the Riders hate us as a club. If you seriuosly think that KA is going to go "easy" on us because it's a nothing game you don't obviously don't know the Rider mentality. They would love nothing more than to be the ones that put the final nail in our coffin this season, as we have done to you guys so many times before. If it was against anyone other than you guys I would like our chances a lot, but something tells me you guys are going to slaughter us.
      Originally posted by Traxy
      If his moral character isn't good enough for the goddamn Saskatchewan Roughriders, it sure as hell isn't good enough for the Green and Gold.
      Interesting that it was the Riders who moaned and bitched for a salary cap, and since a cap was put in place for them, they only years they've won they broke the salary cap rules.

Comment

Originally posted by griswold View Post
        There are 2 things I don't like about this situation and our playoff chances.....

1) First off, our playoff hopes rest in the demise of another team - Montreal. And even though they play 2 opponents they should lose to (Calgary and Winnipeg), to Calgary it's a nothing game, so they may play all their 4th stringers.......In the world of sports you wanna be in control of your own destiny and not leave it in the hands of others. Yes we need to win the last 2, but above all else, Montreal needs to lose.

2)One of our final 2 games is against the Riders. And let's face it, the Riders hate us as a club. If you seriuosly think that KA is going to go "easy" on us because it's a nothing game you don't obviously don't know the Rider mentality. They would love nothing more than to be the ones that put the final nail in our coffin this season, as we have done to you guys so many times before. If it was against anyone other than you guys I would like our chances a lot, but something tells me you guys are going to slaughter us.
        Personally IMO I don't think it's going to be as one sided as you might think. I agree with you on the riders but let's look at some intagibles the EE bring to the table:

1. EE haven't won in a few weeks now. If I'm playing tonight I'm feeling lots of pent up frustration right now
        2. They kept pace with BC last week until the last few minutes of the game, and BC is a GC contender
        3. They are fighting for their crossover playoff lives tonight
        4. At the same time, the players are fighting for their jobs next year, too
        5. Our running game and defence have improved since the last time we played the Wheaties, not to mention the fact that Tucker and Stamps are in the lineup at receiver, and Gaylor and Nowacki are most likely out, reducing our case of the dropsies. Mann looked good last week too, and if he has another game like he had last week, we have one dangerous receiver in our hands.
        6. Aside from a handful of game film, Steven Jyles is more of an unknown to the Wheaties then RR, and is more mobile. This makes our QB less predictable to defend against.

Will all this be enough to beat the Riders? I don't know. But even if we lose we should at least make it interesting; I don't think it's going to be a blowout. If we can keep up with BC there's no reason we can't keep up with SK.

Comment

Originally posted by Rayminator View Post
          6. Aside from a handful of game film, Steven Jyles is more of an unknown to the Wheaties then RR, and is more mobile. This makes our QB less predictable to defend against.
          There is nothing about our offence that is unpredictable and hard to defend against.
          "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

Comment

Originally posted by Angelus View Post
            There is nothing about our offence that is unpredictable and hard to defend against.
            Those little footballs are harder to defend against than our offence.

I am hoping for an Esks win, however I predict the Wheaties by 14. Now how often do you ever hear that? I have to go and throw up now.
            If his moral character isn't good enough for the goddamn Saskatchewan Roughriders, it sure as hell isn't good enough for the Green and Gold.
            Interesting that it was the Riders who moaned and bitched for a salary cap, and since a cap was put in place for them, they only years they've won they broke the salary cap rules.

Comment

I think we have a legit shot of winning this game, but we'll have to a better job in the second half than we've done lately. If the Riders do indeed rest their starters then we could manage to win, but Crandell is no slouch either...

Comment

Originally posted by Numberz View Post
                but Crandell is no slouch either...
                We haven't faired too well against other teams' 2nd and 3rd string QBs.

Comment

Originally posted by Rayminator View Post
                  2. They kept pace with BC last week until the last few minutes of the game, and BC is a GC contender

3. They are fighting for their crossover playoff lives tonight

If we can keep up with BC there's no reason we can't keep up with SK.
                  Riders are also Grey Cup contenders, 2nd best record in the league.

Esks have been fighting for their lives for weeks now and have come up empty.
                  "The Eskimos showed promise. The seven turnovers were awful but two came late when it meant nothing. A few were the result of the weather and a slippery ball."

Nanookster

Comment

I think the Eskimos are going to win this game but Calgary will gas the game against Montreal thus it won't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by soupie View Post
                      Riders are also Grey Cup contenders, 2nd best record in the league.

Esks have been fighting for their lives for weeks now and have come up empty.
                      ah, but from midseason until now let's look at some of the changes that have been utilized to help improve the esks, even if they haven't been winning yet:

- we actually have a running game now
                      - defence is vastly improved
                      - injuries have halted and healed starters are coming back on the roster
                      - backup QBs while making rookie mistakes (seeing as how they are rookies and all) have looked good

I get the feeling we may have to agree to disagree here but I prefer to think positively that the esks have a chance to win the ballgame.

Comment

So you're saying that one QB who is more apt to run the ball than another QB isn't tougher to defend against? If the QB makes the decision to read whether he is going to run or pass harder, is that not tougher to defend against?

Comment

Sure there is. It's very unpredictable when we run our first running play. My guess is 2:35 of Quarter 2.

Comment

First of all...to the mod who altered my post...that was nice of you...next time try not to turn a spelling mistake into a personal attack...aren't there rules about that here?

Now back to the topic...

Another guy who I really like on the Esks right now is the new running back - I believe his last name is Anderson...really big huge guy with tons of speed. Reminds be a lot of a Mike Sellers type of player. Do any of you have some more info on him (i.e. What college he attended, and if he won any awards)? He looks to me like he is gonna be a real force for you guys in the coming years.
                            RIDER PRIDE is where its at!

Comment

Originally posted by chub View Post
                              First of all...to the mod who altered my post...that was nice of you...next time try not to turn a spelling mistake into a personal attack...aren't there rules about that here?

Now back to the topic...

Another guy who I really like on the Esks right now is the new running back - I believe his last name is Anderson...really big huge guy with tons of speed. Reminds be a lot of a Mike Sellers type of player. Do any of you have some more info on him (i.e. What college he attended, and if he won any awards)? He looks to me like he is gonna be a real force for you guys in the coming years.
                              There are no rules protecting Rider fans here, the rules are in place to protect Eskimo fans only. You play at your risk here you know....

Comment

Working...
                              X