Most divisive player in Edmonton history dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most divisive player in Edmonton history dies

Former offensive lineman Hicham El-Mashtoub died on Thursday at age 49 after a battle with Cancer. He played only a single season in Edmonton in 1999 after being drafted by both Edmonton and Houston in their respective 1995 drafts. He had the talent to play in the NFL, but not the attitude which got him in nothing but trouble. He finally signed with the Green and Gold on June 21, 1999 playing the entire season, but was released on December 15th of that year after it was reported several teammates refused to play in 2000 if he was still on the team.

https://www.urgelbourgie.com/en/necr...am-el-mashtoub

Hopefully he mellowed with age; I have heard many stories about the man, and very few of them were good. I heard that Jeff Braswell came around and made amends with his fellow teammates - perhaps Hicham did as well.

#PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

Re: Most divisive player in Edmonton history dies

I remember when he signed with us I thought we had an all star lineman and were lucky he came north. Football is such a 'team" game there's not much room for players that won't fit in. Sorry to hear of his passing at such a young age.
    Last edited by turftoe27; 09-18-2021, 01:08 PM.

Comment

For the rest of the class....
      If you say something that is intended to make people angry with each other, your words are divisive.
      Honestly, I don't remember her ....How do I get the emoji's to work???

Comment

Rest in peace Hicham.

49 is far too young to die. My condolences to his family.

#F**k cancer!
        Last edited by widowmaker; 09-19-2021, 07:36 PM.
        https://fontmeme.com/permalink/22103...7f700e4989.png

Comment

Originally posted by 56Parkies View Post
          Hopefully he mellowed with age; I have heard many stories about the man, and very few of them were good. I heard that Jeff Braswell came around and made amends with his fellow teammates - perhaps Hicham did as well.
          Jeff Braswell I remember was one of the players Ron Lancaster released from the Eskimos when Lancaster was appointed head coach in early 1991. Lancaster said at the time that he wanted Eskimo players to be good human beings as well as good football players. But whatever did Hicham El-Mashtoub or Jeff Braswell say/do to be considered so divisive? Why were they that unpopular with some teammates?
          Radically Canadian!

Comment

Working...
          X