World Cup of Money, er, Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: World Cup of Money, er, Hockey

I think that the World Cup is here to stay for a while. I think that it will stay every 4 years though, unless the NHL does not go to the next two Olympics (both in Asia). The Summer Olympics are going to stay in late July or early August for the foreseeable future, so there is no competition that way. Also the NHL is making way to much money to have it go away. The PA is making a pile of money as well, so they have a good reason to keep it.

What you will see next time though is 3 out of 4 teams making it into the playoff round. That way you are pretty much guaranteed to have the US make it into the playoffs, I am not watching the game so they could have gone 0-3, but it was a meaningless game for both teams.

I was not sold on the team North America concept, but it turned out I really liked it. Those younger players went out there with a care in the world and played the most entertaining hockey of the tournament. They were not supposed to win so why not have some fun doing it. Team Europe is in the same boat as well, they just do not play as entertaining a brand of hockey as the young guns. Lets face it a good chuck of Canada is going to watch the Semi-Final and Final so it is not going away. Besides Rogers has to make of their money back on the NHL deal (this is separate, but a money maker none the less)
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

"The only thing I ever feared was failure" - Dan Kepley

Comment

If you have a chance, check out the game right now. You might see something you haven't seen in a decade: Canada losing a game at a top tournament.

A little less than 12 minutes left, Team Europe is frustrating the Canadians time and again, holding onto a 1-0 lead. The winning streak might be over soon.
      Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by glenvb View Post
        If you have a chance, check out the game right now. You might see something you haven't seen in a decade: Canada losing a game at a top tournament.

A little less than 12 minutes left, Team Europe is frustrating the Canadians time and again, holding onto a 1-0 lead. The winning streak might be over soon.
        Euros are choking off the game Ala Slovakia with Hasek....... Boring

Comment

I know why Glen's excited. It looks a lot like soccer.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
            I know why Glen's excited. It looks a lot like soccer.
            You bet Canada scores with 2:53 left! Waiting for them penalty kicks.

EDIT: and a shortie with 43 seconds left!
            Last edited by glenvb; 09-29-2016, 08:43 PM.
            Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

Comment

Yes, a very exciting finish!

Comment

So the Olympics are held in Russia, and municipalities change laws so they can open bars for packed audiences to watch the final in the middle of the night. I was at an empty bar in prime time tonight to watch the final of a country vs a partial continent (and I wasn't there for the game, it's part of my after playing sports ritual of drinking twice as many calories as I just burned off). Yeah, the World Cup is a perfectly acceptable substitute for the Olympics and will help grow the game. Keep telling yourself that, Gary.

Comment

Originally posted by nafnikufesin View Post
                  So the Olympics are held in Russia, and municipalities change laws so they can open bars for packed audiences to watch the final in the middle of the night. I was at an empty bar in prime time tonight to watch the final of a country vs a partial continent (and I wasn't there for the game, it's part of my after playing sports ritual of drinking twice as many calories as I just burned off). Yeah, the World Cup is a perfectly acceptable substitute for the Olympics and will help grow the game. Keep telling yourself that, Gary.
                  Agreed 100%. I really like watching hockey, but this little exercise was not a comparable to the Olympic experience for us fans or the players.

Comment

This event made money for the NHL and the NHLPA so really that is all that mattered to them. TO me it was a gimmick tournament and I do not think that it will be talked about it much past today. That being said I did like the young guns team, I wish that all of the teams played liked they did. From what I saw (and it was not that much) it was NHL hockey with bad looking national jerseys.

The only way for me for this tournament to work is if it is a true world cup. So that means that they are getting true nation team for different countries. I think back to the old Canada Cups or Even the first few World Cups and they actually meant something. Now maybe it was because things were a lot closer in terms of elite level world teams then they are now. I am sure anyone that watched the 87 Canada Cup (I am to young to remember 72) still remembers the 3-1 on with Gretzky and Lemeuix. It was good because not only did it have the best players playing against each other, but Canada and the USSR were so even at that time that Canada could have honestly lost. This event just did not have that feel.
                    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

"The only thing I ever feared was failure" - Dan Kepley

Comment

I like how the NHL keeps talking about how they want to increase their reach worldwide, especially to Asia... all the while saying they won't participate in the Olympics anymore, when the next two Olympics are in, drumroll please, Asia.

I wouldn't think they'd lose money on the tournament, they did it relatively economically keeping it in Toronto and with decent TV and advertiser contracts going in... but they didn't make nearly as much as they thought they would, and I imagine the TV and sponsors aren't terribly pleased with their return on investment, so those have been devalued. They say there will be another one in 4 years, so the scale of that (or if it's cancelled) that will be a pretty clear indication of how this was really received by the NHL internally.
                      Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

Comment

Working...
                      X