Free Agent Frenzy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free Agent Frenzy

I have not seen a thread on this any where so I figured I would start one, a bit late.

The big signing is Obviously Tavaras going back to Toronto for 7-$77 million.
    Am I one of the few people who do not like this signing, from a Leafs Hockey Ops stand point? The Leafs have a lot of cap room this season so it will not be an issue this year, what about next season? From what I can see now the Leafs have about $13 Million in cap space left for this season. They still have to sign Nylander for this season, I am going to estimate that will take about $5 million a season (that is about Kadri is making and he has similar stats). So that will leave about $8 Million this season. So far they have just under $30 million for next season (lets say $25 Million next season as Nylander is not in there), but they have to sign Matthews and Marner, plus half of their Defensive core and a back up goalie.

People can add and discuss.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

"The only thing I ever feared was failure" - Dan Kepley

Re: Free Agent Frenzy

Pete definitely overpaid Brodziak by a little (why is a 34 year old getting a raise from his 2 years 950k deal he was on before?), but he's an OK signing.

Love the Rieder signing.

Leafs signing JT makes sense. Load up, he's not gonna be the guy you regret and they can still LTIR Horton next year for another $5,000,000 in space.

Will be curious to see how they work Nylander/Marner/Matthews moving forward but they're loaded and what the Oilers should have been.

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
    Hyman-Tavares-Marner

Oilers should be running:

RNH-McDavid-Eberle
    Hall-Draisatl-JP

With Yamo pushing.

Instead it's RNH-McDavid-Rattie / Lucic-Draisatl-JP

The problem is pretty damn obvious and it's hard to think the Leafs did anything but play this damn near perfectly.
    Last edited by PDO; 07-01-2018, 03:10 PM.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

Comment

The Leafs though are in the same issue as the Oilers though in terms of very little Defense. IF Anderson comes back down to earth, like Talbot last season, the Leafs could be in trouble.

Comment

It's not like their D is terrible and having 3 elite C's down the middle eases a lot of that.

And it's not like the Oilers fixed their D by trading Hall and Eberle for peanuts.
        "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

Comment

I do agree that the leafs are in a better position then the Oilers right now, as they have trade bait and no really bad contracts (cough cough Lucic and Russel Cough) but they are going to have to win a lot of games 6-5 going forward with their defense.

Comment

Originally posted by budha View Post
            I do agree that the leafs are in a better position then the Oilers right now, as they have trade bait and no really bad contracts (cough cough Lucic and Russel Cough) but they are going to have to win a lot of games 6-5 going forward with their defense.
            You say that like it's a bad thing

And their D isn't bad news bears bad, it's just mediocre.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

Comment

Working...
            X