Canada soccer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canada soccer

Thought I'd give this topic its own thread.

6 games into the final group for World Cup qualifying and Canada sits 3rd (top 3 will automatically qualify, 4th goes into a playoff), yet to lose a game. We've managed draws on the road against Mexico and the US, which are huge points. I've followed Canadian soccer for almost 30 years, and while I've had high hopes in the past that were bitterly smashed, this team feels different.

In spite of a shaky start against Panama, giving up a goal in the first 5 minutes, Canada regrouped and ultimately dominated, winning 4-1. When the game was tied, Canada was in control but unable to finish, and it was tense as all it would take is a lucky bounce on a counter and it could derail everything, until Davies took the team on his back and essentially sprinted the length of the field to break the tie, and the floodgates opened. Davies is to the men's national team as McDavid is to the Oilers...every time he touches the ball, you get that exciting feeling that anything could happen.

Still 8 games left in the qualifying round, but Canada controls its own destiny here. Our next two games are at Commonwealth in November against Costa Rica and Mexico. Mexico is never an easy opponent, but Canada is finally playing to their advantage by hosting warm weather teams in potentially cold weather conditions. In Mexico, which is never easy and a draw is considered a good result, Canada was the better team, and in my opinion, it was disappointing and a little unlucky not to come away with the full 3 points.
    Last edited by nafnikufesin; 10-14-2021, 12:01 PM.

Great crowd in TO from what I saw on tv and you're right Davies is electric!
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
      Great crowd in TO from what I saw on tv and you're right Davies is electric!
      Especially since the Leafs home opener was happening at exactly the same time! I lived in Toronto for 5 years and went to soccer games there, back then it was in a crumbling Varsity stadium where 2000 people would show up and 90% of them cheered for the other country, so it's a big shift from what games there used to be. The crowds in Edmonton have always been pro-Canada, but the stadium looks a little more cavernous if there isn't a big turnout, so hopefully we get some butts in the seats next month.

Comment

BIG GAME tonight in Edmonton !! Close to 50,000 tickets sold. I did a quick search on Google, to see where it might on TV ?? I mean geez, GONZO Davies is a generational player from Canada

Comment

So it is possible for the home team to win at Commonwealth.

Comment

Welcome Mexico to Edmonton in November
            The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

Comment

Full 6 points from Costa Rica and Mexico during this window (Mexico with zero having also lost to the US), as we vault to the top of the table after 8 games. 6 games left, including 4 road games in Central America and at home to the US, so there are still some challenges ahead, but our destiny is in our own hands.

Comment

Working...
              X