Could be your last chance to see these aircraft in Edmonton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could be your last chance to see these aircraft in Edmonton

Hawk One arrived last night and one of only two flyable Lancaster Bombers in the world is arriving Friday and will be open for tours all weekend (except when it is flying up to Cold Lake for the airshow).

They can be viewed at the Alberta Aviation Museum on Kingsway Ave.

And the fight is on to keep the airport open! The issue is not dead yet!

http://albertaaviationmuseum.com/ima...er/release.pdf
    Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

Re: Could be your last chance to see these aircraft in Edmonton

They voted to close that airport, 'Nook. It's gonna close. Face facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Nanookster View Post
      (except when it is flying up to Cold Lake for the airshow).
      The airshow's supposed to be "the best ever" this year. Can't wait. Love the VIP area! Tent, food, drink...and a great view. Gonna be sweet.
      Once an Eskimo, ALWAYS an Eskimo.

Comment

I was driving through Nanton when they had their Lancaster out of the hanger in May. They only had one engine going, but it sounded like the world was going to end. Filled me with pride.

Comment

The Lancaster was the first model I ever assembled as a kid.. I think I just might amble over to the airport and take a look at the real thing..

Comment

Originally posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
            They voted to close that airport, 'Nook. It's gonna close. Face facts.
            It means very little what city council voted for. It isn't law and there are very strong forces at work now.

And I now know why NAIT doesn't plan to develop the land for 40-50 years, they don't have the money to buy the land now.

Mandell is finished in 2010.
            Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
            Pizmo Loves Nanookster

Comment

Originally posted by boydo View Post
              The airshow's supposed to be "the best ever" this year. Can't wait. Love the VIP area! Tent, food, drink...and a great view. Gonna be sweet.
              I've seen much better here in Edmonton. In fact, I think I have seen bigger airshows in Red Deer and Lethbridge. I prefer an airshow with static aircraft. I am not a big "Over the Lake" fan.

But I am heading to Cold Lake this weekend anyway.
              Pizmo Loves Nanookster

Comment

Originally posted by BaronAmongYou View Post
                I was driving through Nanton when they had their Lancaster out of the hanger in May. They only had one engine going, but it sounded like the world was going to end. Filled me with pride.
                I was there too. They had it out and ran it up twice that day. Did you see the big Oshkosh trucks outside? They are working to get this one approved for the air again.
                Pizmo Loves Nanookster

Comment

It means very little what city council voted for. It isn't law and there are very strong forces at work now.

And I now know why NAIT doesn't plan to develop the land for 40-50 years, they don't have the money to buy the land now.

Mandell is finished in 2010.
                  I'll bet you money on Mandel winning in 2010.

Go ahead. Take the bet, my friend.

Council voted to close that airport in phases. The first runway will be closed before the voters go to the polls in October of next year.

And NAIT will be expanding on those lands far sooner than you think. They don't need to buy the land. They'll be swapping land with the city for a valuable tract of land south of Anthony Henday Drive. Won't cost NAIT or the Province a thing.

It is the Province of Alberta who will fund the capital project.

Now, if Cal Nichols and his pals want to challenge Stephen Mandel in 2010, I say let them. They'll lose. And it won't be close. Legally they don't have a leg to stand on either.

Closing the airport was the right choice. Move on with your life.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedrock43 View Post
                    The Lancaster was the first model I ever assembled as a kid.. I think I just might amble over to the airport and take a look at the real thing..
                    I almost had a flight in this Lanc several years ago. I was in Hamilton when it was going up for a flight. I paid for a yearly memberhip as one of the benefits is you get one flight in a museum aircraft. The aircraft was going up for a Transport Canada check ride and no passengers were permitted. So I opted for a flight in a Harvard.
                    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

Comment

Originally posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
                      I'll bet you money on Mandel winning in 2010.

Go ahead. Take the bet, my friend.

Council voted to close that airport in phases. The first runway will be closed before the voters go to the polls in October of next year.

And NAIT will be expanding on those lands far sooner than you think. They don't need to buy the land. They'll be swapping land with the city for a valuable tract of land south of Anthony Henday Drive. Won't cost NAIT or the Province a thing.

It is the Province of Alberta who will fund the capital project.

Now, if Cal Nichols and his pals want to challenge Stephen Mandel in 2010, I say let them. They'll lose. And it won't be close. Legally they don't have a leg to stand on either.

Closing the airport was the right choice. Move on with your life.
                      How much? We're on.

And trust me, it is far from over. Legally, Mandel is in a lot of trouble. A lot of contracts were signed with airport tenants. I've said enough though.
                      Pizmo Loves Nanookster

Comment

How much? We're on.

And trust me, it is far from over. Legally, Mandel is in a lot of trouble. A lot of contracts were signed with airport tenants. I've said enough though.
                        How about a nice friendly $20 bet?

Mandel isn't in any legal trouble. Anyone who tells you that is blowing smoke up your ass.

Comment

Not betting "the usual"?

Comment

I've seen much better here in Edmonton. In fact, I think I have seen bigger airshows in Red Deer and Lethbridge. I prefer an airshow with static aircraft. I am not a big "Over the Lake" fan.

But I am heading to Cold Lake this weekend anyway.
                            It's been years since I've been to an airshow...let alone a static one. I remember being able to crawl all over F-14's and A-4's when I was younger...then from what I heard you couldn't even get too close to them, let alone sit in the cockpit. Still...aside from being up there yourself, there's nothing like watching/hearing/feeling the jets scooby by ya!
                            Once an Eskimo, ALWAYS an Eskimo.

Comment

You want to see a unique aircraft? Go down to the International and check this out:

Jumbo firefighter

Comment

Working...
                              X