No announcement yet.

Around the CFL 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dan Ralph reporting that Bo Mitchell will receive approx. $540k per year on his deal with Hamilton - more than he made last year with Calgary (based on reports last year from 3downnation.com) . Certainly doesn't leave a lot of room for a #2 QB.
    Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

Comment

I full expect QB Dane Evans to be released and sign with SASK before FA….

QB Fajordo will sign back with BC to compete with Adams for the starters spot…

My 3 Cents…

Comment

Originally posted by SKIP12 View Post
        I full expect QB Dane Evans to be released and sign with SASK before FA….

QB Fajordo will sign back with BC to compete with Adams for the starters spot…

My 3 Cents…
        You think they'll be able to fit Fajardo in with Adams? In the below article VA is making $399,000 in hard money. Compare that yo the $238,000 that Cornelius is making in hard money and I would suggest we are in a much better position to add some veteran QB depth.

https://3downnation.com/2022/03/15/c...r-2022-season/

Comment

Originally posted by Looner View Post

You think they'll be able to fit Fajardo in with Adams? In the below article VA is making $399,000 in hard money. Compare that yo the $238,000 that Cornelius is making in hard money and I would suggest we are in a much better position to add some veteran QB depth.

https://3downnation.com/2022/03/15/c...r-2022-season/
          I hear ya….

I just think that QB Fajordo has no bargaining power…. Was not very effective last season and most teams with QB1 already in place…

EE could be a destination…but CJ comments last off season in regards to Fajardo not being a throwing QB and one dimensional…I can’t see a fit…

Also see no fit is SASK… so teams are limited

I think he will need to sign as a backup and for backup money….

My 3 Cents..

Comment

I hope the money we saving at the QB position…maybe the lowest money spent on that position in the CFL….may lead to some FA and improvements to other areas of team…

My 3 Cents…

Comment

Originally posted by SKIP12 View Post
              I hope the money we saving at the QB position…maybe the lowest money spent on that position in the CFL….may lead to some FA and improvements to other areas of team…

My 3 Cents…
              Noticed J T Barrett is still listed as an asst/off coach with the Detroit Lions. Might be a tough gig to give up and make it as a QB again. Tore his achilles before he could come to training camp here last year.

Comment

Also MBT could leave Toronto.....

So we could have

Fatjoe
                Evans
                MBT all available...

and IMO we need a vet QB to back up. With Cornys up and down game if I was a starter who is a FA I would be interested in seeing Edmontons interest as IMO itd be easier to up seat Corny

Comment

Originally posted by Esks4ever View Post
                  Also MBT could leave Toronto.....

So we could have

Fatjoe
                  Evans
                  MBT all available...

and IMO we need a vet QB to back up. With Cornys up and down game if I was a starter who is a FA I would be interested in seeing Edmontons interest as IMO itd be easier to up seat Corny
                  That is one sorry list of alternatives! 1 guy who doesn’t have the arm, 1 guy who doesn’t have the legs, and 1 guy who has no confidence and possibly can’t read complex defences. The Elks need a miracle at QB this year or we are in for an excruciating season, despite all the positive talk the preseason generates.
                  I just don’t see an answer to this team’s biggest question, sorry just my gut feeling.

Comment

Agreed. All the talk we hear about how you can build a winner out of a "game manager" QB... but look at GC winners in most years (other than where weird QB injuries happened), and the QB was almost always a lot more than a game manager. I wouldn't mind MBT, I think he's under-rated... but the rest of those guys, including Corny, do not give me great hope for the 2023 season.
                    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by glenvb View Post
                      Agreed. All the talk we hear about how you can build a winner out of a "game manager" QB... but look at GC winners in most years (other than where weird QB injuries happened), and the QB was almost always a lot more than a game manager. I wouldn't mind MBT, I think he's under-rated... but the rest of those guys, including Corny, do not give me great hope for the 2023 season.
                      Corny advanced from year 1 to 2, if he can do that this year, I think we'll have a legit starter as he's shown flashes. In CJ's interview with 3down nation he talks about how it took guys like Mike Reilly a little time to season before becoming a starter and that Corny wasn't offered that time.

Comment

Originally posted by turftoe27 View Post

Noticed J T Barrett is still listed as an asst/off coach with the Detroit Lions. Might be a tough gig to give up and make it as a QB again. Tore his achilles before he could come to training camp here last year.
                        unfortunately I think that ship has sailed.

Comment

Corny advanced from year 1 to 2, if he can do that this year, I think we'll have a legit starter as he's shown flashes. In CJ's interview with 3down nation he talks about how it took guys like Mike Reilly a little time to season before becoming a starter and that Corny wasn't offered that time.
                          I know I was looking pretty hard for good signs, but I think I was being too hopeful. His efficiency and TD/INT numbers were among the worst in the league last year (same issues he had in college), after this advance. Yes, guys can develop after a while, but very few late bloomers become Calvillo or Reilly. Maybe he'll do it, but that's a lottery. If he's under centre this year I'll cheer him on. Hope I'm wrong.
                          Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by glenvb View Post

I know I was looking pretty hard for good signs, but I think I was being too hopeful. His efficiency and TD/INT numbers were among the worst in the league last year (same issues he had in college), after this advance. Yes, guys can develop after a while, but very few late bloomers become Calvillo or Reilly. Maybe he'll do it, but that's a lottery. If he's under centre this year I'll cheer him on. Hope I'm wrong.
                            Fair enough. At the end of 2021 I was done with him and I'm still not 100% convinced he's going to be the answer. He could just as easily turn out like Steven Jyles as he could Mike Reilly. I would love to see us snap up Dane Evans if he were to agree to a contract similar to what Trevor Harris did last year.

Comment

Fair enough. At the end of 2021 I was done with him and I'm still not 100% convinced he's going to be the answer. He could just as easily turn out like Steven Jyles as he could Mike Reilly. I would love to see us snap up Dane Evans if he were to agree to a contract similar to what Trevor Harris did last year.
                              IMO we need a capable backup, no knock on Ford but he's too green (right now ). I would love to see Corny take that next step... he has the rough around the edges tool, but does he have it between the ears....

Comment

I suspect unless we can get a vet QB at a bargain, our QB lineup will not change much. I think Jones will be looking more at a guy like Matthew Shiltz.
                                Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

Comment

Working...
                                X