Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2022 Offseason heading in 2023 Season Thread

It... It can only go up right ???

What do you think the Elks will do this offseason?

Who's gunna be shown the door?

Who should the Elks target in the offseason?

Who's worth keeping?

( Mods - if everyone is cool with it , can we sticky this thread instead of having multiple threads about the off-season ? )

Keepers : Brown, Michell, I woudnt mind another year of the Manny Show, Saulsberry ( unless a proven returner shakes free and doesn't cost an arm and a leg), Ceresna off the top of my head.

See ya: Walker.. I've seen enough of him half assing and dropping catchable balls. Last 2 games it seems liked he was actually trying - too bad that couldn't be for the entire season.

I'll try to think of D players (outside of Ceresna ) but i'll take a while since the entire D was a tire fire

Comment

Funny looking at the depth charts near the end of the season compared to the beginning....

Comment

Our coaching situation should be significantly better in 2023, which should lead to more wins, at least in my opinion. We were working with a staff of 18, compared to the other teams who had 21.

https://3downnation.com/2022/10/25/c...edmonton-elks/

Comment

Ok I'll play...I'm not taking into account, age, salary nor National status. These are the guys I think have shown enough to build around.

Keepers:
          QB Corny (Let him battle with another vet for the starting spot)
          RB Brown
          OL Foucault, Jack-Kurdyla, Korte, Nielsen, Washington (NEED a CFL experienced OL coach though).
          WR Manny, Cobb, Marshall, Vandervoort, Mitchell

DL Ceresna, Henry, Pelley, Bonner, Ealy
          LB Makonzo, Appolon, Morgan, Thomas, Konar (This group should be our strength IMO)
          DB Decoud, Hutter, Gainey, Olumba, Grymes

K Castillo
          The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Looner View Post
            Our coaching situation should be significantly better in 2023, which should lead to more wins, at least in my opinion. We were working with a staff of 18, compared to the other teams who had 21.

https://3downnation.com/2022/10/25/c...edmonton-elks/
            So we go to better our club and fire some coaches and still have to pay for them - thusly hampering the following year's campaign. I think they need to rework that. Fired coach should equal no contract.

Comment

Utterly stupid rule. I assume the point of the rule was so you don't have what happened to the Esks when the Riders poached Jones and his staff even before they won the cup?

If you fire a coach or GM, you don't want them on your staff because they aren't any good so how does it make sense to penalize the team management cap wise? You are almost encouraging teams to keep incompetent people on staff just so you won't get penalized. Do you not want the best possible people in place on all teams to make your overall league better?
              Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Sectionq View Post
                Utterly stupid rule. I assume the point of the rule was so you don't have what happened to the Esks when the Riders poached Jones and his staff even before they won the cup?

If you fire a coach or GM, you don't want them on your staff because they aren't any good so how does it make sense to penalize the team management cap wise? You are almost encouraging teams to keep incompetent people on staff just so you won't get penalized. Do you not want the best possible people in place on all teams to make your overall league better?
                Its a terrible rule for sure. I think it was put in place to appease the players as there was a cap on player contracts but teams could have 100 coaches (exaggerating). The players thought that less money spent there meant more money for them.

Comment

Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

Comment

Originally posted by Looner View Post

Its a terrible rule for sure. I think it was put in place to appease the players as there was a cap on player contracts but teams could have 100 coaches (exaggerating). The players thought that less money spent there meant more money for them.
                    If they want a salary cap for the coaches, fine go ahead. But as soon as the coach isn't employed by the team, they shouldn't count against your cap. When a player gets cut, his salary doesn't still count for the teams cap. To me, the CFL seems to be a league that must enjoy punching themselves in the nuts just to make it more difficult. So of the things they do are mind blowing.
                    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Esks4ever View Post
                      Keepers : Brown, Michell, I woudnt mind another year of the Manny Show, Saulsberry ( unless a proven returner shakes free and doesn't cost an arm and a leg), Ceresna off the top of my head.

See ya: Walker.. I've seen enough of him half assing and dropping catchable balls. Last 2 games it seems liked he was actually trying - too bad that couldn't be for the entire season.

I'll try to think of D players (outside of Ceresna ) but i'll take a while since the entire D was a tire fire
                      I think Walker still adds value but he has to play in the slot. He looked so much more like his old self once they moved him inside a few games ago.

Comment

Originally posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post

I think Walker still adds value but he has to play in the slot. He looked so much more like his old self once they moved him inside a few games ago.
                        Exactly he is a better 2nd Receiver and a mismatch if he isn't up against the number 1 CB
                        Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

Comment

The football ops cap definitely has to go, or at least be altered. It makes no sense for any team to make do with less, especially when you’re already behind with limits to padded practice and when you’re trying to recruit guys against USFL and XFL with a lower dollar. You need good coaches and those extra boots on the ground in the US to build relationships. I’m sure all the teams would benefit.

Personnel wise, offensively, I’d look to upgrade the tackle spots and receiving depth.

I’m OK with the centre and guards - actually Foucault was better than I thought, but might be pricy with Gibbons in the wings. Korte and Jack Kurdyla should be fine. I didn’t mind Ivey at all and Washington was a leader when healthy, but there is room to upgrade.

Mitchell is good and I have all day for the leadership Manny offers, but beyond that another threat or two would be nice. Walker does drop a lot of balls. Maybe moving him inside would work. Locksley could take another step to help. An upgrade on the Canadians wouldn’t hurt either, though I think Vandervoort is a decent piece. Perhaps a healthy Cobb makes a difference.

Defensively, I’d look at DE and corner primarily.

Keeping Ceresna inside is key and I want to see more Pelley. Ealy is fine too. Ellis was OK on the end, but I think more of a rush threat would help. Thomas shows promise as well as DE and LB. I liked him.

Linebacking is OK if the guys can stay healthy. Morgan can play and i really liked what I saw of Sheldon in the middle. Watson also would’ve been a nice piece. Makonzo really got better as the year progressed. I missed Konar here initially but he had a great year.

The corners were a revolving door this year. Maybe if Grymes has anything left he helps. I didn’t mind guys like Gainey and DeCoud in the secondary and loved Hutter.
                          Last edited by BeaverSports; 10-25-2022, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sectionq View Post

If they want a salary cap for the coaches, fine go ahead. But as soon as the coach isn't employed by the team, they shouldn't count against your cap. When a player gets cut, his salary doesn't still count for the teams cap. To me, the CFL seems to be a league that must enjoy punching themselves in the nuts just to make it more difficult. So of the things they do are mind blowing.
                            difference being that coaches salaries are guaranteed so if a team cuts them, they still have to pay them. The CFL took a step towards this with some guaranteed player contracts (Corny and Maier signed the first ones). If we cut Corny now a certain portion of his salary is still on the books.

That being said, I still hate the ops cap and think it hinders the game. You take us for example, last year we were a tire fire and needed to start fresh but the fact that we have Maas, Elizondo and Sunderland counting against our ops cap, made things significantly harder and possibly costed us a game or two. In a small league it doesn't pay to have any team down for an extended period of time and the ops cap is doing just that. Another example of this is Ottawa, if they didn't have the ops cap, there is a chance that the new GM would have brought in his own coach instead of sticking with Lapo and who knows how that would have turned out but I would suggest it couldn't have been worse then they were this year.

Comment

The Edmonton Elks are on a bye this week after finishing their regular season schedule with a 4-14 record and missing the playoffs for a second straight year. With a critical off-season ahead of them, it’s time to look at which players are set to hit free agency in February 2023. This will be the […]
                              Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

Comment

Working...
                              X